We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Rainer day tours from Seattle

Halifax, UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Rainer day tours from Seattle

Hello,

We are 2 adults planning to visit Seattle in May 2011.

We are interested in doing a Mt. Rainer day tour from seattle.

We have found two tour operators which does daya trips from seattle to the mount. Could any one recommend which of these two will help us to get to nice scenic places in the mount ranier national park.

graylineseattle.com/sightseeingtours.cfm/mod…

seattlecitytours.com/MtRainierTour_Rates.html

Thanks for your time.

Clipper Vacations
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Ferries, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Puget Sound Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,561 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Rainer day tours from Seattle

Tours NW does a great job on this tour and would probably suggest them over Grayline. TNW will use a 20-24 pax bus vs a 56 person bus so they stop more often for pix and smaller group size etc etc.

Another name I've seen is

evergreen escapes which is more of a specialty company.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Rainer day tours from Seattle

Note too that there will likely still be a lot of snow at the Paradise visitor center so walking any of the trails in that area might not be possible that early in the short summer. Also The Mountain tends to be shy in May and is often shrouded in clouds. Still the drive up there is very pretty - especially in the old growth forest areas - and the waterfalls should be in full force then.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
120 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Rainer day tours from Seattle

I did the Grayline tour about 3 1/2 yrs. ago. From the website, it doesn't sound like its changed much. When we went, they didn't use one of the full-sized buses. It was the "retro" one: graylineseattle.com/charters.cfm/…14

We stopped two times for breaks other than the scenic ones (two or three?). Once was a restaurant in Eatonville for a potty break due to some folks that couldn't wait. The other stop was at http://www.basecampgrill.com/ where we had lunch (at our own expense). The web site now advertises that you can buy lunch at the visitor's center upon arrival to Paradise.

All together, I think we had 2 hours of free time at Paradise before it was time to board the bus back. That leaves just enough time for lunch and a quick walk around. This was in May, so there was still snow on the ground in some places. Being that this is a La Nina winter, I imagine there will be plenty of snow in May of this year.

We took the tour because we were with people that aren't into walking around much, so this was right up their alley. If you want do more exploring once you get to the mountain, I'd suggest doing the overnight trip. The area is so stunning and Paradise Lodge is incredibly charming. For the advertised price, its well worth it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Rainer day tours from Seattle

Renting a car, while it costs $$ and doesn't provide you with a guide, can be a great way to visit such a diverse park. This way, you can pull the car over at whichever of the many dozens of vista points along the way you wish to check out. And not having a guide, ... well, I like that too. YMMV. The roads along the way are well maintained, and Western Washington drivers are incredibly courteous (off-setting the anxiety posed by the "wherever the valley takes us" roadways - which take a bit of getting used to).

5. Re: Mt Rainer day tours from Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 06:21