We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seatac to Federal Way

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
464 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Seatac to Federal Way

I have a 7 hour layover in Seattle on the way to Hawaii coming up in March, and I'd like to use it to swing down to the Rhododendron Species Foundation and Botanical Gardens in Federal Way. I contacted the garden, no good bus service, and a taxi they thought would be $35-40. I can rent a car from Advantage for $32, is there any better option? I would not prepay for anything since the whole rhodi visit could be scrapped if my plane getting in is very late.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,306 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seatac to Federal Way

I didn't answer cause I've never been to the Rhody garden you mention. Since that is our state flower it can be spectacular. I just don't know if your trip conincides with the flowering season. It seems too early and don't want you to be dissappointed. From Seatac to FW is not very far but renting a car may be your best bet however your time frame is short to rent a car, find your way, return the car get gas, and then go back thru security. Its an ambitous plan but not sure I'd do it.

You may just want to take the lt rail into downtown shop at the market and return to Seatac.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seatac to Federal Way

Here is the page, which I'd bet you have seen, from the official website, noting the seasons:

http://www.rhodygarden.org/visitus.html

You might keep tuned in to the website, so that you know better about the blooming status.

These are very nice gardens.

BTW, the page pasted above includes the Bonsai Garden (same place); I thought they had been closed. If not, very well worth seeing if into bonsai.

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seatac to Federal Way

Seatac airport to FW is an easy drive, probably 15 minutes to the Rhody garden. If you have 7 hours you should have ample time, even considering security and time at the rental car counter. Err on the side of caution and head back to the airport early since you never know how long returning your car/waiting for shuttle will take.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
552 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seatac to Federal Way

Not sure about the blooming times during the year but if the concern is time I do believe you would have enough time to get there and back, the longest would be renting the car. Just make sure you get back soon enough to drop it off and go through security, all that jazz. If the blooming isnt at that time I would still suggest hoping on a shuttle downtown and enjoying the day there rather than at the airport.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
464 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seatac to Federal Way

Thanks all you from Seattle who wrote in. I'm not locked into picking up the car, but if the flight is on time I'll go for it. The director of the garden says there will be something in bloom, but if nothing else I can get some fresh air and stretch the legs. We've been to WA many times (I'm trying to talk my husband into retiring there - it's my favorite state, with both mountains and water!) so I'll have no trouble driving. Alternate plan is indeed to head downtown for a bite of lunch with public transportation.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seatac to Federal Way

I'm surprised to hear that the rhodies will be in bloom in March. I've been to that garden once (I work in Federal Way), and don't remember it being especially memorable, but it was also because I went too late. If the weather is nice, there are some trails on the Weyerhaeuser property that are open to the public. If you like burgers, I'd recommend stopping for a burger and a milkshake at the Pick Quick Drive In in Fife. We sometimes go there during lunch, except you should call first because I know they're closed for a few months in the winter (outdoor seating only). It's on 4306 Pacific Highway E, Fife, WA 98424

(253) 922-5599

Hope you get to see the rhodies!

7. Re: Seatac to Federal Way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2012, 23:16