We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariners Game.

Sydney
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mariners Game.

I will be in Seattle at the start of August and want to go to a Mariners game. Coming from Australia this could be the only time I ever get to see a MLB game. The games that will be on are against Oakland. My question is where do you think would be the best place to be seated in the park not just for viewing but also for overall atmosphere?

Thanks

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariners Game.

Safeco is a wonderful stadium to watch baseball. At Safeco there are really no "bad" seats. There are good sight lines no matter where you sit. Part of the fun and atmosphere is to walk around and get a different vantage point during the game (and get food). For example, you can watch the pitchers warming up in the bull pen or there is a standing room only outfield area. Some people buy the cheapest seats, and move throughout the game.

One of the cool things you can do is go to Mariner's website, under buy tickets now and click on a section and get a view from that section. I prefer to be closer to the game, and our seats are in the lower box, but most of those go to season ticket holders, and are some of the most expensive. You can also look at the Field seats, again as low a row as you can find in the 100 section, again either on the 1st base or 3rd base line. Many fans like to sit along the 1st base line to see Ichiro in action. The seats on the three hundred level (highest level) are fine, especially between first base and home plate. I prefer to be along the 1st or 3rd bases over the outfield. The very cheapest seats are the outfield bleachers, and it tends to be quite lively, young and "enthusiastic". Section 103 is a no alcohol "Family" section. I also like to sit where I can see the big screen/scoreboard. The Center Field Bleachers are right under that screen, so if you sit there, you can't see the electronic board.

mlb.mlb.com/sea/ballpark/seating_pricing.jsp

Sydney
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariners Game.

Thanks for all that info. Do you think a Monday or Tuesday night game like Mariners vs Oakland A's would be a full house?

Thanks Again

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariners Game.

It don't think that will matter. I doubt either of those games will be full. Monday night is 1/2 price Family Night - all View Reserved Seats (300 level) are just $10 in advance, which should help fill that level.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mariners Game.

On a Monday or Tuesday night I'd be more concerned that the crowd size will be too small to lend that much atmosphere. Might, might not, depending on how the team is doing by then. Late July/early August is a point in the season (April - October) when teams that are out of the pennant (championship) race tend to experience a fall in attendance, and Mon. - Thurs. games in that time tend to take the brunt of the drop. Unfortunately the Mariners haven't been competitive at that stage for the past few years, so you might have a smallish crowd on those nights. (Safeco Field holds around 45,000 - you might have under 10,000 on those nights. Or maybe not - lightning can strike.)

If, however, you plan to be in town on Sunday 31 July, you might think about going to the afternoon game then. As a rule the Sunday afternoon games are better attended, and because it's daylight the views from the stadium are better, the cold beer tastes better, and then you can go celebrate or commiserate with the fans afterward and still have the evening open.

Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mariners Game.

We were at a Tuesday night game mid September last year when the Mariners played the Redsox. We bought tickets well in advance but on the night the stadium was not even half full. We had a great time nonetheless, but had the stadium been busier the atmosphere would certainly have been better.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
306 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mariners Game.

Half full Safeco crowd when the Red Sox were in town!? I dont believe that. Yankees, Red Sox pack that place! Very much an electric atmosphere at Safeco for those games.

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mariners Game.

A different question for you, where would a good place to stay with a small family if we stopped in Seattle from Vancouver for a game or two. Maybe what other attractions a person could do while we are down there.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mariners Game.

>> A different question for you, where would a good place to stay with a small family if we stopped in Seattle from Vancouver for a game or two...<<

The Silver Cloud Inn directly across the street from the stadium entrance would be my pick. If you ride the train from Vancouver it's also walkable from the station.

http://www.silvercloud.com/stadium.php

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mariners Game.

Jumping on this thread rather than start a new one. Apologies OP.

We are also looking going to the Baseball when we are in Seattle. It's a regular thing for us when in the US, so we know what to expect in terms of the game/evening etc.

We are in the fortunate position of the Mariners playing on each of our 6 nights in Seattle although the 28th May is out due to late afternoon arrival from the UK and severe tiredness no doubt.

They play the Yankees on the Sunday, Orieoles the Monday (Memorial Day), Tuesday and Wednesday and Devil Rays on the Thursday.

I am guessing a Memorial Day crowd might be good for an afternoon game? Kick off, bat off, pitch off, or whatever it is called is 13.10 :)

Do you think we would need to buy tickets in advance for this game? Another option is the 19.10 game on the Tuesday night, although I do love my evening meals in the USA, time to relax etc.

I'm not overly bothered about seeing the Devil Rays, well, in fairness they might have improved but they sucked last time we saw them in Tampa......

Any thoughts? I'm tempted to leave until we get to Seattle just in case we opt to miss it and concentrate on other things. I've already got a packed itinerary but it would be good to see some sport. I was hoping for Soccer, but the Sounders are away whilst we are in Town......

Cheers

Ju123

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
306 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mariners Game.

Ju123, we are going to be in Seattle Mem wknd and taking in all 3 games vs the Yankees. Single game tickets went on sale yesterday but we bought ours months ago thru stubhub. Got a great rate of $99 nt for the Silver Cloud Stadium thru hotwire. Incredible atmosphere in Seattle when NY is town! Safeco crowd is made up of 50% Yankee fans that weekend.