We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A vacation for the grown ups...

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
A vacation for the grown ups...

My husband and I will be traveling to Seattle for a weekend in June. We will be with another couple... and the kids, dogs, and worries are staying behind. We're staying near Gasworks Park.

Besides the U2 concert (finally!) and maybe a Mariners game, we're planning to hit up some of the typical tourist destinations (my husband and my friend have never really been to Seattle, so we're obliged!).

But I'm also interested in hearing if anyone has any "must stops"? I'm most familiar with downtown, Pioneer Square, and West Seattle. We don't like malls.

Great beer is a must.

Your thoughts?

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,133 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

I'd recommend a meal at Ivars Salmon House near Gaswork park. Even if you don't dine inside their outside menu on a sunny day is very nice. Also you might hit Fremont for their sunday market. Its a funky old area close to where you'll be staying. No shortage of micro beer but I'm not the right guy to ask. The is a Hales Ale? on Leary way also close to where you'll be.

Hope you get more advice.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

a great place to start is the things to do link on your left and the top questions on your right.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

I think dinner at the Dahlia Lounge is pretty amazing when you are being grownup and the deserts are out of this world, especially the pie. You'll know which one. The coconut creme amazing pie that made Tom Douglas famous.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

Thanks, Ash. I am familiar with those features but also appreciate personal recommendations from forum members. The "top questions" seem to be more about getting around and where to stay, and we've already nailed down those logistics. Do you have a favorite spot to take visitors from out of town?

David, thanks for the tip about the Fremont market, we'll try to check it out. Ivar's is always a good bet, I'm glad to know there's one close by where we'll be staying.

RainBird, I haven't been to Dahlia yet! Went to Palace Kitchen several years ago and liked it. I'll add that as a contender for our "splurge" dinner out.

Any other tips on great beer, cheap eats, and interesting sites that might not make it onto the typical "tourist" list, since this is an "adults only" trip?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

Tractor Tavern, Ballard http://www.tractortavern.com/

Norm's, Fremont http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1&nord=1#sclient=psy&hl=en&nord=1&site=webhp&source=hp&q=Norm's%20Eatery%20and%20Ale%20House&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=38664e7e8c090ddc&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=38664e7e8c090ddc&ion=1

Want more? LOL

beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php…

Ferry Ride? Bainbridge Island, you can walk on if you like, stroll the town of BI adjacent to the dock.

Edited: 29 April 2011, 22:31
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

If you like beer, there are quite a few brew pubs or 'microbreweries' near downtown. I like Pyramid Alehouse (south of downtown) and Elysian Brewing Co (Capitol Hill):

www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/seattle

www.elysianbrewing.com/

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

Another grownup place for casual fun and incredible burger is Two Bells Tavern. Check out the location and menu at http://thetwobells.com/ I had the sausage sandwich decades ago and never forgot it.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

do a brew tour.....

gonorthwest.com/Washington/seattle/dining/mi…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

My top five free places to visit outside the downtown area are:

1. The locks - a must see, watch the salmon jumping up the ladder and the boats going in and out the locks

2. Alki beach - take the water taxi, then the back to the beach; then walk back to the taxi

3. Volunteer park - visit the conservatory, climb the tower, check out the park and the views

4. Arboretum - walk through the various gardens, but don't forget to take the walkway across to foster island for water and marsh views

5. The Fremont troll - just for uniqueness

(then comes Kubota Garden, Golden Gardens, Green Lake, and various neighborhoods to visit)

All are easy to get to without a car, except the foster island trail.

For brewpubs - I focus more on the food. Hales is pretty good. Pyramid has gone downhill recently for food (used to go regularly, no more). My current favorite for excellent food is Elliot Bay Brewery in West Seattle.

A Moose

Edited: 30 April 2011, 19:30
10. Re: A vacation for the grown ups...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 23:17