We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

We have limited time over July 4th and want to see a classic ONP beach without driving all the way around ONP. Anything on the northern shores or is Neah Bay worth the drive?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

Where are you driving from? I don't understand why you think you need to drive all the way around the Olympic Peninsula to reach one of the ONP beaches. Let us know your starting point, so we can advise you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

I am starting at Sea-Tac, going to Tacoma to see the Glass Museum, and then driving up to Hurricane ridge, Crescent Lake area, staying that evening in Port Townsend, taking the ferry to Coupeville next day to go whale watching in the afternoon in Anacortes, then going up to Vancouver. So if I have one day, it's not practical to go to Ruby or Rialto Beach- right?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,847 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

This will be one very long day. Rialto is much easier to get to than Neah Bay. If you want to drive that far and back I would reccommend spending less time exploring Lake Crescent as you will drive along it anyway.

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

I take your answer to mean that there is not a scenic beach along the north shore anywhere between Port Angeles and Neah. If Hurricane Ridge will still be snowed in, is the long drive up and back worth it?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,847 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

Yes there is no other Northern beach as accessible without a long drive and hike. I would predict there I predict there will still be snow at Hurricane Ridge, how much is hard to stay. You will still be able to get up there, and my guess is you will be able do some hiking. I do not know how to best to answer your question. From Pt. Townsend to Rialto Beach is about a 3 hour drive one way. I love the place and it is very beautiful, to me it would be worth it, but I can not speak for others. Hurricane Ridge and the Lake Crescent area of course would be easier. Did you know you can go whale whatching out of Port Townsend? I do realize you are heading North after Port Townsend.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

I am also concerned that you will be getting a very late start out of Tacoma. Depending on your flight arrival time and how much time you are thinking you'll spend at the Museum of Glass (plus the old Union Station next door), you will be hard pressed to reach Hurricane Ridge that day (AND Lake Crescent!) and get to Port Townsend that night. Figure a minimum of 3-4 hours at the Museum of Glass (it's worth that much time).

But, then, maybe I'm misunderstanding your itinerrary.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

I had trouble understanding your itinerary, too. Rialto Beach is 1 hour and 15 minutes west of Port Angeles. That means it is 2 hours and 30 minutes west of Pt. Townsend. I will give you the advice I always give to visitors: don't underestimate the distances on the Olympic Peninsula, and don't try to do too much.

I was just up at Hurricane Ridge. At the rate we are going, there will still be six feet of snow up there on July 4. I hope I am wrong, but I have a sinking feeling I am right.

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

I tend to try to do too much...so this research is to triage what is best to see considering I have so little time over such great distances. I anticipate that the pre-July 4th traffic may also be bad and slow travel even more. If we are not hiking(or snowshoeing) should I plan to drive up to Hurricane Ridge? Will the views from the road be worthwhile? Or do I simply drive out to Rialto beach?

Are there wonderful beaches further north on my way towards Vancouver? If so, we will go as far as Crescent Lake and take some short walks. We have to connect with an Alaska cruise or I would have more time at ONP. Next time...

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

You probably won't be able to hike July 4 at Hurricane Ridge. I hope I am wrong, but given the cooler temperatures we have had this year and the heavy snow pack up there, I fear that no hiking trails will be open until late July. The drive is pretty for about 35 minutes. Then it becomes spectacular. The views from the top are gorgeous. This may or may not be worth it to you. Fortunately, you won't have to decide until later, and perhaps the snow will have melted by July 4. You won't see any Pacific beaches as you head to Vancouver.

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
529 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scenic beach on northern shore of ONP?

Crescent Bay - directly north of the eastern end of Lake Crescent - is a very pretty beach. The Dungeness Spit is another place to enjoy sand and water.