We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to Propose in Seattle?

Fremont, California
7 posts
Save Topic
Place to Propose in Seattle?

Hi, I am going to Seattle in August with my girlfriend and wanted to propose to her while we are up there vacationing. I've never been there before and would like some suggestions of places I can propose. I would like somewhere romantic/nice with good scenery but also somewhere secluded where there isn't too many people around watching. Thanks in advance!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

So many to choose from...How long will you be here?

Lime Kiln Point State Park, and more on San Juan Island.

Ebey's Landing, and more on Whidbey Island.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 17:35
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

walk to the bottom of snoqualmie falls, look at it on gmaps

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,990 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

I'm the sort of eccentric who thinks that the height of romance would be a proposal in front of a salmon tank at the Ballard Locks, particularly if the salmon were spawning. The lights are low, the fish flash silver as they swim by, and you have the feeling that you are in an only-in-Seattle bubble. Of course, there will be schoolchildren and other visitors around, so privacy is out. However, I'm not joking; I really think it would a unique and wonderful place to propose. The floor is concrete, though, so if you go down to one knee, it will be hard.

Fremont, California
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

We will be there for about 4 days. Do we need to take a ferry to these islands?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

Yes - you need to take a ferry to the San Juan Islands. Or, for more $, a float plane.

To Whidbey Island, there is a ferry on the south end, on the north-end it is accessed by car over the Deception Pass Bridge.

I can think of hundreds of options for you. It really depends on you & your gal, what you want this proposal to feel like, etc. We have scenery galore here. Do you have a place to stay? If not, what would be your preference - city, rural, B & B, boutique, etc

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

A good reference is called, Best Places to Kiss Northwest. I think the 10th edition is the latest, pub, 2008 by Sasquatch Books. Available online at many retailers.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

Smith Tower has a funky Wedding Chair (rumored to answer the wish of anyone who sits in it). That's not too busy as compared to the Space Needle, and of course has great views.

There are also many gardens and parks. Near the romantic fish ladder (?!) mentioned above is Golden Gardens park, where you could walk up at the north end without many fellow beachgoers. Great views of the Olympic Mtns on a clear day. At night, alternately, you could have a beach fire there. There are often people juggling fire on the beach, so it is an interesting place.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

Rule 1 - do not propose at the fish ladder.

Rule 2 - ditto

LOL

The San Juan islands deserve an overnight and require more time to access. Whidbey is much easier.

Whidbey Island (Great day or more getaway that is characteristic of many of the features of the Pacific NW, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

www.whidbeycamanoislands.com/…

An official and helpful guide to the islands.

http://visitsanjuanislands.org/

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

top of the Space Needle

top of the Smith Tower

the Japanese Garden in the Arboretum

on a ferry ride over to Bainbridge and back at sunset

Snoqualmie Falls

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to Propose in Seattle?

Personally all of the places I would pick would mean renting a car and driving to a mountain view or waterfall. If you do not want to leave the city, how about on the top deck of the Bainbridge Ferry with the lights of Seattle as a backdrop. At night you can find a hidden corner. I proposed to my wife in the Swiss Alps and she proposed to me above Hurricane Ridge. Our marriage only lasted 6 months. JUST KIDDING!! We have been happily married for 14 years. Congratulations!