We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

Greetings everyone, my wife and I along with my 2 kids, 22 yrs old girl, and my 14 yrs old boy are visiting Seattle for the first time this coming August. I have a preliminary iternary below, please give us some more suggestion pls to see if we missing any must see sights. We like to eat with the locals if we can, nothing fancy, fun ambians would be cool. Thanks in advance :)

Seattle 2011

Day 1, Aug, 16th

- Arrived in Seattle 10:45 a.m., check into the Sheraton Seattle Hotel.

- Lunch (suggestion pls)

- Seattle Aquarium

- Space Needle / Dinner suggestion pls

Day 2, Aug, 17th

- Seattle city tour or Explore Seattle Tour ( please let us know which one we should choose)

- Walk around to check out city (suggestion, may be shopping)

- Tillicum Village Salmon Bake and Cruise 6:30 p.m.

Day 3, Aug, 18th

- Experience Music Project / Science Fiction Museum

- The Museum of Flight

- Pike Place Market Ghost Tour ( dinner, suggestion pls)

Day 4, Aug, 19th

- Late start

- Pike Place Market - Classics Tour

- Pacific Science Center

- Dinner ( suggestion pls)

Day 5, Aug, 20th

- open to any suggestion pls

- Argosy Cruises Seattle Harbor Tour

Day 6, Aug, 21st

- check out at 12 p.m.

- have a few hrs before flighting out at 6:00 p.m.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,846 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

Do try to make time to visit the Ballard Locks. I have pictures from a recent trip there on www.kaleberg.com, so you can see why I recommend a visit. You might also enjoy taking the water taxi to West Seattle and exploring the waterfront there.

I am not sure what sort of food you enjoy. If you do visit Ballard, The Walrus and the Carpenter has superb oysters and fascinating cocktails. Marjorie in Capital Hill is a wonderful, intimate restaurant with great ambiance. Palace Kitchen is another favorite. Lunch at Matt's on the Market is great, but make sure you make a reservation. Seattle is a fantastic food town, and my fellow TripAdvisors will chime in with lots of suggestions.

United States
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

The Old Spaghetti Factory is near the Space Needle. I like the ambience of the old building & furniture. It's also a good deal with kids-includes a drink, soup or salad and dessert. They have a gluten free menu.

While you are in that part of town definitely stop by the Seattle Art Museum Olympic Sculpture Park during the daylight hours. There is a fun little beach by the water.

There is a nice restaurant in Pike Place Market for breakfast. On the third floor you have awesome views of Puget Sound. You order downstairs, then head up and get your water & silverware. They will bring you your food. www.eatatlowells.com

For shopping I like to briefly visit Nordstrom Rack. If your wife needs undergarments they're half off. I usually get DH dress suits here too.

You don't HAVE to go up the Space Needle. There are other good views in Smith Tower or the Bank of America Building 73rd floor for a lot lower price. I haven't done BOA yet, but planning to on my next trip. While you're in this part of town I suggest stopping in the Library on 6th. Go in and there are some cool, free views and it's an awesome architectural structure.

If you're heading to the waterfront go down the Harbor Steps from 1st ave, near the Seattle Art Museum. If you're in town the first Thursday or first weekend, can't remember, and have a Bank of America card you can get in for free, I believe. Their web site has information on it.

I suggest taking the water taxi and bus to Alki Beach. There are some recommended seafood restaurants over there, read the TA reviews.

You may be spending too much time on cruises/tours. Seattle's an awesome city to explore on your own. The only tour I've been on is the Underground Tour, which was just OK IMHO.

We love walking up Queen Anne Hill to Kerry Park. There are some amazing photo ops there.

Have an awesome trip! Read the "Things to Do" section on the upper left as you decide what to do. But don't trust that you'll automatically love the #1 item. I'm personally not a Pike Place Market lover.

Edited: 21 July 2011, 05:16
United States
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

Just a thought, are you using the Seattle City Pass? If not, maybe you should with all those attractions you've got listed.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

You are doubling back to the Seattle Center and might wish to plan otherwise (days 1, 3, 4).

I'd go with the Tillicum Village tour and drop the harbor tour.

I agree, don't miss this site: Ballard/Chittenden Locks Uniquely Seattle

www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Menu.cfm…

Worth seeing, truly interesting and well done, is the:

Museum of Flight A world class museum, for all ages.

http://www.museumofflight.org/

I'd use a half to a full day to tour Whidbey Island; here's how and why:

Whidbey Island (Great day or more getaway with many features of the Pacific NW; includes key websites, tours, maps.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

www.whidbeycamanoislands.com/…

Ebey’s Landing State Park, on Whidbey Island – Dramatic, easy, trail, farmland to the east, Puget Sound and the Olympics to the west.

nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm…

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

Thanks everyone for your input. I have a lot of information I have to digest now, time to do some more home works. The only reason we are visiting all the museums and the cruise is we are thinking of getting the city pass, but I think we might pass on the cruise that come with it. Will post up an update iternary after I do more homework. Thanks again guys.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

Updated I ternary, please let me know what you guys think. Does any one know which of the 2 tours are better? Please let me know.

Day 1, Aug, 16th

- Arrived in Seattle 10:45 a.m., check into the Sheraton Seattle Hotel.

- Lunch Public Market for Lunch (suggestion pls)

- Seattle Aquarium

- Space Needle / still need more Dinner suggestion pls

Day 2, Aug, 17th

- Seattle city tour or Explore Seattle Tour ( please let us know which one we should choose)

- Walk around to check out city (suggestion, may be shopping)

- Tillicum Village Salmon Bake and Cruise 6:30 p.m.

Day 3, Aug, 18th

- Experience Music Project / Science Fiction Museum

Pacific Science Center

- Pike Place Market Ghost Tour ( dinner, suggestion pls)

Day 4, Aug, 19th

- Late start

- Pike Place Market - Classics Tour

- The Museum of Flight

- water taxi and bus to Alki Beach (Dinner Suggestions pls)

Day 5, Aug, 20th

Eat at Lowells for Breakfast

Ballard/Chittenden Locks Uniquely Seattle

Day 6, Aug, 21st

- check out at 12 p.m.

- have a few hrs before flighting out at 6:00 p.m.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

A fun place for lunch in the Pike Place Market is Emmett Watsons Oyster Bar (if people like fish & chips, chowder, etc.) or Pike Place Chowder is also good (a dozen kinds of soup).

suze

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

Thanks Suze, we will do that :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
203 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

I would think your 14yr old would like the "ducks" tour - maybe wife and daughter could shop.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle for the first time, so excited!!!

If you get to Ballard I think you will really enjoy it. It is a real Seattle neighborhood (where I live). The locks are a fun way to enjoy and appreciate Seattle's maritime culture. See the locks website at http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Menu.cfm?sitename=lwsc&pagename=mainpage)

Yachts and saiboats pass through the locks but so do a number of commercial fishing vessels and often tugs. There is a small free exhibit about the locks upstairs at the visitor center. The salmon ladder is also on the south side of the locks. The Chinook or King salmon run should be peaking in late August and Coho and Sockeye should be running as well. The ladder enables the salmon to bypass the locks and make the 20+ foot transition from sealevel to the freshwater ship canal in 21 steps. There is a small interpretive center with underwater viewing of the last step or two in the ladder on the South side of the locks.

Ballard also has a great sandy Puget Sound beach at Golden Gardens with beautiful views towards the Olympics, a fascinating local Nordic Heritage museum and a charming downtown core centered around historic early 20th Century Ballard Ave where there are a number of bars, restaurants and shops and a couple well known live music venues.

The Walrus and the Carpenter is a hot oyster bar and small plates restaurant at the bottom of Ballard Ave on the backside of the renovated Kolstrand Building (which also houses Ethan Stowell's newest restaurant Staple and Fancy and the Dutch Bike Co. It is a beautiful light filled space owned by Renee Erickson of Boat Street (Belltown). Take a look at the menu on their website. The menu changes quite a bit but the online menu will give you a good idea. Both W&TC and Staple and Fancy really focus on the highest quality locally grown, foraged and harvested ingredients: fish, shellfish, organic meats, foraged mushrooms, locally made bread, cheeses and wines etc. W&TC has gotten a ton of really great press (most recently from Frank Bruni of the NY TImes) and they are a walk in place with a limited number of tables so they are often packed. If you like to eat early you are most likely to get a table for 4 immediately on a weekend evening between 4 and 5. However they turn tables pretty regularly.

Just up Ballard Ave I also love Bastille for great French cafe/bistro inspired dishes. The restaurant is also gorgeous and has a main dining room a front bar seating area, a back bar, an outdoor covered patio and a beer garden. Same strong strong focus on great locally sourced ingredients and in fact they have a HUGE rooftop garden and beehives so quite a bit of their produce is from their own property. Jason Stoneburner, the head chef, is a real talent and he has dedicated crew in the kitchen. He worked at Ethan Stowell's How to Cook a Wolf on Queen Anne Hill before coming to Bastille.

If you all want more info on Ballard or elsewhere in Seattle based on your interests (art, coffee, breweries etc.) just post again.

Gotta go for now.

Hope that helps

-K