We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice welcome. :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice welcome. :)

Hello All,

My husband and I have recently retired and are flying to Seattle from Sept 4 - Sept 9. We have rented a home on Puget Sound through VRBO and also rented a car as we are interested in the drive from Vancouver to Whistler (the Sea to Sky highway?). We are open to all your suggestions and advice on sites in and around Seattle, moderately priced restaurants, driving in and around the city etc. Thanks so much!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

Congratulations on your retirement!

What are your interests?

With only five or so days, and because you based here, your travel will be somewhat limited to day trips, am I correct?

The Sea to Sky Hwy. with re: to distance might not be the best use of your time, but again, I don't know what you wish to experience.

Here's a TA article that will provide some touring guidance with a focus on the general Seattle region

Options for self drive itineraries in the Seattle region, with websites.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c112037/Seattl…

And you'll be using the ferries, here is the website. Go to the specific page re: your planned ferry use, and check out waiting times.

WA State Ferries (Beautiful views, ride at least one, perhaps Bainbridge Island).

For routes, schedules, fares and more - http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

For specific ferry terminal current information -http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/vesselwatch/Terminals.aspx?CFID=46160971&CFTOKEN=50149771

Have you selected "Things to Do", left hand column? Many ideas presented, if you select from that list, we can help with itinerary and other comments.

Edited: 05 August 2011, 16:29
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

I have printed your advice. Thank you! It is all most informative and helpful. Yes, we will be taking day trips in and around Seattle, and from the sidebar, this is what we are mostly likely interested in:

Theo Chocolate (perhaps)

Seattle Waterfront

Washington State Ferries

Kerry Park

Bank of America Tower

Thank you!

Level Contributor
35,236 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

The ferry ride to Bainbridge Island is very nice. Try to get to one of the Tom Douglas restaurants while you are in Seattle. Dahlia Lounge and Etta's are two of our favorites. Don't miss the coconut cream pie at Etta's if you go!

Enjoy your time in Seattle! :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

Super! Thank you!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

You are going to Whistler within your five days? That's a long trip. Any way you can get a few more days?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

Well, the TA posts have pretty much dissuaded us from the Seattle to Whistler drive. We are focusing now on a day trip to Mt Rainier. So I welcome any advice on that and also anything else regarding Seattle. Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

Do you like wine or whiskey?

Woodinville (an easy 30 min. drive northeast of Seattle) has plenty of wineries (www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/index.cfm) and one whiskey distillery (www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/the-distillery/) that you could visit.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

Excelent suggestions! Thank you!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

worldtraveler...I just wanted to make sure that I understand your trip and you have received the right advice.

You are only here for 5 days right? In a VRBO rental and plan to do day trips?

The Sea to Sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler is one of the most beautiful roads in the world. BUT...from Seattle it is +/- 5 hours each way. It's not a day trip. Instead, something to do if you overnight in Whistler or out of Vancouver. It is fun to take the train to Vancouver, then back in the same day, not ideal, as that just gives you a few hours in Vanocuver. But everyone has different travel goals. It is not something I would necessarily recommend for when you just have 5 days here - as there are so many great options and you have a car rental.

DO consider a day trip to Whidbey Island, it is nice loop option. Perhaps Snoqualmie Falls + the Carnation Valley + Woodinville. Or Rainier or even Mt. St. Helens. Lots of options. It just depends on how you travel and how much you like to take on or drive in a day.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advice welcome. :)

Thank you for the ideas! Much appreciated!