We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - with detailed info on light link and monorail

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
52 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - with detailed info on light link and monorail

Part 1 of my trip report (Seattle portion):

We spent a day and a half in Seattle as part of an 11 trip to WA/OR. Wow, what an incredible area of the country! We stayed at the Best Western Loyal Inn near Seattle Center. In order to save money I decided to try the Light Link and Monorail. I was a bit leary of doing the transfer at Westlake after reading posts here on the forum. All went smooth thanks to this youtube video I found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulih7KNdoFE I watched the video 2 times before I left and when I was at the airport had no troubles finding our way. We had 3 of us, myself, husband and 11 year old daughter. 3 rolling bags and 2 carry/shoulder bags. Then I had found a contact person's e-mail here on Tripadvisor for the monorail. So I sent an e-mail asking for very detailed instructions on how to get from the Light Link to the Monorail at Westlake, explaining that I had heard from travelers on this forum that it was confusing and that the signage wasn't great. Here is the response I got (thanks, Megan):

When you exit the light rail you have two options:

1. You can look for signage in the Transit Tunnel that will direct you up an escalator one floor toward the Monorail. Once you go up the escalator, you will see an elevator with a sign that says 'MONORAIL' with arrows pointing upward as well as a staircase with our route map and information. Take the elevator up to the 3rd floor (it says Monorail next to the button) and when you exit you will see a Monorail ticket booth where you can purchase tickets. Please keep in the mind we do not accept credit cards.

2. You can exit the Transit Tunnel to street level and walk to 'Westlake Center' which is the mall that is located on 5th Avenue and Pine Street. Go inside the mall (either through the mail door, or if the mall is closed, you can enter from the elevator on 5th Avenue on the side of the mall). Go up to the third floor of the mall where the Monorail platform is located.

I literally printed these instructions and had them in hand. If you are thinking about using public transit to get from SeaTac to Seattle Center I would definately recommend it. The walk from there to our hotel was bearly 2 blocks.

After checking into the hotel we headed straight for the Duck Tour. It was fun and relaxing and a nice way to get the lay of the land. I think it's nice for kids too, because even if they aren't interested in the histroy or they don't get the jokes it's fun to go into Lake Union and the music and driver are fun. Next we went up to the top of the Space Needle. Great views! the sun was shining with barely a cloud in the sky and we could see Mt. Rainier too!

The next morning we walked down to the Olympic Sculpture Park, which was very nice. Although beware you aren't supposed to touch the art. There are security cameras and my daughter was touching a sclupture and we heard over a loud speaker "do not touch the art". Shame on her :-) This gave us something to tease her about throughout the trip. We walked along the waterfront, up to Pike Place Market (starbucks, gum wall, rachel the pig), which was all very enjoyable. We ate lunch at Pike Brewery which was good. My husband loved the beer. Afterwards we walked to Pioneer Square. We loved this area. We hung out at a park (forgot the name) but they have something looking like a leg warmer around the trunks of the trees and other fabric looking netting in some of the trees...very cool. We then went over to the Waterfall Garden (which I found out about from this forum) and hung out for a while. We loved this too. A very calm place in the middle of the city. We then took the underground tour, which was very informative and interesting. After a long day we walked all the way back to our hotel for a pizza in our room.

Thank you to all of the experts here for all of your advice and opinions you constantly give. Your advice was very valuable. Our entire vacation was wonderful thanks in part to the information that I obtained from the forums.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - with detailed info on light link and monorail

Thanks for the report! My family and I took the light rail again last week and one tip I learned as Westlake Center undergoes renovation is to exit the train at Nordstroms....then when you find yourself on the street facing Westlake Center you are literally across the street from the elevator going up to the monorail. That's a much easier approach than exiting from Macy's and fighting through the plaza crowds. Happy travels!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - with detailed info on light link and monorail

Glad you enjoyed your trip, the no touching the art in the sculpture park really is a bummer and pisses me off no end.

Precious artists that don't understand the tactile need for humans to touch. Especially since their precious artworks are outdoors exposed to the elements and pollution.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - with detailed info on light link and monorail

Glad you had a successful trip.

You can share with your kids that the knit art around trees and light poles you saw in Pioneer Square is part of a trend called Yarn Bombing. That installation is by yarn artist Suzanne Tidwell, and went up for International Yarn Bombing Day and is scheduled to remain through September. My favorite so far was the scarf they yarn bombed for the Fremont Troll.

mynorthwest.com/category/…

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - with detailed info on light link and monorail

I saw the trees with their knitwear last weekend and it is very pretty! The city was having a tango dance class there at the time, so the park was full of music, dancing and festive trees.

Regarding the sculptures: when they were first installed, the museum was actually surprised that people wanted to touch it. I guess they aren't as familiar with people as they are with art!

5. Re: Trip Report - with detailed info on light link and monorail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 12:18