We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

Okinawa, Japan
1 post
Save Topic
Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

Hi, Our family is about to fly into Seattle in about a week and we are thinking about getting a train from there to Spokane Wa. I was just wondering which train station is the closest to the airport so we can try and coordinate our plans with transportation and hotel and whatnot. There are four of us. My husband and I and our two children.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,836 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

The king st station which is the main downtown Seattle location is what you want. I think you will find the schedule sort of odd hrs arriving into Spokane. The flights to Spok from Sea are usually cheaper than the train. Look at Southwest.com

or

alaskaair.com

for some comparisons. Even though your going East the train starts off by going north and east over Stevens pass. If this is a daylight trip it would be beautiful. Also check because some 'trains' are actually a bus connection.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

The Empire Builder train travels from Seattle to Spokane & Eastbound: www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

I would also recommend you look at Alaska Air & Southwest to get you to Spokane. You may find it a bit of a hassle to get from Seatac airport to King Street Station in downtown Seattle to catch the Amtrak train (especially if you have a lot of luggage).

Please read the article on how to get to downtown Seattle from the airport: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-s301/Seattle:W…

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
King Street Station
King Street Station
191 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

If you want the closest Amtrak station to SeaTac airport then that would be the station in Tukwlia.

It's located at 7301 Longacres Way, which is less than 5 miles from the airport.

There isn't much there beyond a parking lot and the train platform, but you can catch a train from there to Spokane.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 20:01
Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

Yes, technically the Tukwila stop is closer than downtown Seattle. However, there is nothing there, but a wooden shelter to wait for the train. If you need to print a ticket, check baggage, purchase a ticket, then you're out of luck. Unless you're going South to Portland first, then I think King Street Station in downtown Seattle is the one that you want. The Empire Builder makes up in downtown Seattle, so it's recommended that you go there & not to the Tukwila stop.

Mentioned in this post
Tukwila
Tukwila
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
King Street Station
King Street Station
191 Reviews
Seattle, WA
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,836 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

the Tukwila station DOES NOT serve Coast Starliner or other big trains. It services the Cascades and commuter rail.

Mentioned in this post
Tukwila
Tukwila
Washington
Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

The Empire Builder gets into Spokane at 1am (usually closer to 2am). The area used to be dodgy, but isn't so bad anymore. The station is boring and cold for the people waiting to pick you up, if that is a consideration. There is a pub nearby (kitty-corner) from the station that I've heard is good, and they could wait for you there, but if it starts to snow more in the next week that parking lot you would have to walk thru to get to it is icy (or at least it has been everytime I've gone this time of year).

I'd do a flight if the cost isn't too much (usually it isn't much to add it on since lots of people from Spokane back-fly to Seattle for longer trips).

The train wouldn't be much fun for the kids, since it is so late at night and in my experience they put the worst cars on that line (don't know why).

Mentioned in this post
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

It may not be the cheapest or most convienent since you can't check your bags in Tukwila, but you can take the Amtrak Cascades from Tukwila to Seattle and then take the Empire Builder from Seattle to Spokane.

Or altenatively take the Sounder train from Tukwila to the King Street Station.

I don't necessarily recommend doing either of those trips, but since the OP asked for the closest Amtrak station to SeaTac I felt she should know of the Tukwila stations location.

Also, be advised if you choose to fly Seattle-Spokane that Southwest Airlines is no longer an option. They stop flying that route after tomorrow.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 02:19
Mentioned in this post
Tukwila
Tukwila
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
King Street Station
King Street Station
191 Reviews
Seattle, WA
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

Not knowing when you're arriving at Seatac Airport, I would still recommend heading straight to King Street Station in downtown Seattle. Commuter rail & Amtrak Cascades service from Tukwila to Seattle is very limited. I don't want you to get stuck waiting an hour or longer with only an open wooden shelter as protection from the Wintertime elements. Please see the Top Question 'How do you get into downtown from Seatac Airport?' on the upper right-hand side of this page: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-s301/Seattle:W…

Sodomojo

Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
King Street Station
King Street Station
191 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Tukwila
Tukwila
Washington
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,078 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

What time of day does your flight arrive?

I think you'd want to take the LightRail (not a "train") directly from the airport to the International District station where you can walk to the main Amtrak station, King Street.

But first you need to check on availability of departing trains for Spokane. May or may not be available to coordinate with your flight arrival.

suze

Mentioned in this post
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak Station Closest to the Sea-Tac Airport.

The last I heard (I haven't bothered to go and look), an over-wide freight load wiped out the shelter. Don't know when it will be rebuilt. In any event, I would not recommend it to anyone who is not a commuter.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 20:53