We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

Indiana
Level Contributor
124 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

Is there a good place to run that is safe? even in the early morning? I will have a three hour time difference, so I will probably be up VERY early in the morning :)

United States
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

It seems like you could run along the waterfront until you get to Olympic Sculpture Park. There is a path that I've seen but I don't know how far it goes. Locals will be able to let you know if it's safe & how far the path goes.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

Yes, I would run along Alaskan Way. There is a wide sidewalk on the water side of the street or a paved path on the opposite side of the street. Run West towards the Olympic Sculpture Park, then continue on into Myrtle Edwards Park. The path then splits into 2 routes (those on foot & those on wheels). The path continues on below the Magnolia neighborhood, so you can run as far as you want. You won't get lost, if you just turn around and retrace your steps back to the hotel.

There's also a running shop on Madison below 1st Avenue in case you forget something or want some more tips/pointers on running in the area. http://www.soundsports.com

Indiana
Level Contributor
124 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

thanks! I went to their website and they even have a map posted!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

If you're interested in running with a group there are several options.

1. Niketown has a group run at 6pm on Tuesdays store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,event_locator (bottom of page)

2. Seattle Frontrunners has weekely runs http://www.seattlefrontrunners.org/

3. Fleet Feet Sports on Capitol Hill has group runs on Tuesdays & Thursdays @6pm http://www.fleetfeetseattle.com/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

You can go north to the magnolia bridge (a couple of miles each way) along the waterfront and the park. Beyond that I think you are on street running - and going to Magnolia will be uphill.

If you want to go further, south is a longer and flatter route - there is a running trail south out of downtown, through the port/industrial area, and around Alki beach - perhaps 8 miles each way.

Indiana
Level Contributor
124 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

thanks for the group run info--if there was one on Monday, I would SO do that! Otherwise, my schedule is tight and I have to get it done when I can! So...if you run toward Magnolia, it's uphill? but then that means it's downhill returning? I would be okay with that :)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

The waterfront is flat. I would consider the waterfront north of downtown to Magnolia reasonably safe. As was stated it is pretty wide and open and it seems like a fair number of bicyclists use it as well.

Keep your eyes open if you decide to run in the dark very early on Western Ave just north of Pike Pl Market around/under the viaduct, on 1st or 2nd in Belltown (around Bell) or around pike between 1st and 3rd.

The waterfront route recommended won't take you past these points but I could imagine a runner looking at a downtown map and deciding to run a loop returning via Western, 1st or 2nd.

I don't think downtown Seattle is tremendously dangerous by comparison with other large cities I have lived in like DC or Philly but be alert if are alone before dawn in those areas.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

Going north, it is flat along the waterfront until you get to the Magnolia bridge. Then you have a choice: cross the bridge and run on streets up to Magnolia (uphill). Or run along 15th Ave - which is a busy road but flat.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

I wouldn't recommend running along 1st or 2nd Avenues in downtown Seattle unless it's very early in the morning (i.e. no traffic). It's simply not safe to do so - inattentive drivers on the phone, etc.

Western Ave is fine as traffic is almost always light & there are fewer cross streets (gradual incline/decline).

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: morning or evening run near the Edgewater Hotel?

I should have been more clear. I mentioned those spots out of concern for the potential for crime, not traffic. Check out the link below. This a Seattle city crime report map. You can filter the reported crimes and the reporting period and you can pan and zoom on the map. It's pretty intuitive. You referred to getting out very early because you would be on Eastern time. If you are talking about running at 4am or 5am I would be more cautious and aware generally than being out let's say 6-7am. web5.seattle.gov/mnm/policereports.aspx