We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry from Canada by train

Belfast
Level Contributor
70 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Entry from Canada by train

Hi

As a uk citizen I will be using the train to travel down from Vancouver to Seattle.

I was thinking of getting a visa waiver but it appears this does not work if you enter by land rather than sea or air

I assume that will just need to fill in some kind of departure form at the station

Is this fairly simple/quick to do ?

Many thanks

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entry from Canada by train

I can't answer officially but this yr US Customs will be handling the paperwork at the Vanc Train station. I don't have the knowledge to comment on waivers etc. Perhaps you should check with US immigration websites.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entry from Canada by train

Are you coming into the US, then going to Canada and back, or coming into Canada, then to the US?

If the later there was a question on that route a few days ago - my guess would be that you'll fill in a I94W form for the waiver at US immigrations in Vancouver. I don't know if having any ESTA approval will help.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
811 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entry from Canada by train

You just show them your UK passport and turn inyour customs card with name and passport number and if you bought anything, or have a weapon, and answer a bunch of questions like where are you going, and what are you doing when you get there, and stuff like that and the drug dogs will sniff your bags and that is all there is to it really.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entry from Canada by train

I was thinking of getting a visa waiver but it appears this does not work if you enter by land rather than sea or air

I believe a visa waiver does work if you are arriving by land, and that you will be required to have this for entry. Advise you confirm this before you potentially are denied entry.

fco.gov.uk/en/…entryRequirements

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entry from Canada by train

Hawksfan... are you sure they wouldn't also have to fill out an I94W on entry? While with ESTA the I94W is now no longer used for air/sea scheduled entry, for land I thought they still used paper I94Ws? According to cbp.gov/xp/…automated_processing.xml they need an I94W on land entry.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Entry from Canada by train

As Amoose says, crossing into the US by land the green I-94W is still used for the visa waiver program countries.

7. Re: Entry from Canada by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2013, 10:27