We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What about the Duck tour?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What about the Duck tour?

Has anyone done the Duck tour of Seattle?

Just wondering if it is worth it to put in our itinerary?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What about the Duck tour?

For the first-timer to Seattle, I think it provides a nice little overview of the city, plus the driver can be entertaining. We took out-of-town relatives on it a couple of years ago just to check it out, and found we could've easily shown them everything ourselves. We were curious to see the "Sleepless Houseboat", but all they do is point it out from afar.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What about the Duck tour?

We did this about 5 years ago. We had just moved back to the area, and our inlaws bought us this as a gift. We personally did not care for it, but some people enjoy it. I think there are much better ways to spend your time in the area. Just my two cents:)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What about the Duck tour?

What other sort overview tour would you recommend as opposed to the Duck?

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What about the Duck tour?

beachtraveler: Check out these tours:

http://www.graylineofseattle.com/

http://www.showmeseattle.com/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
338 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What about the Duck tour?

We did the Duck tour a couple years ago for a friends birthday. It was OK but not really a thorough (or terribly accurate) source of information. If you're looking for something different and wacky, it's OK. Amphibious vehicles move *very* slowly in the water, so you really don't get to see much. It concerned me a little bit when it first goes into the water as the water comes right up to the edge of the boat (you're not sitting several feet above the water, you're sitting almost at water level).

As for the other tours mentioned, we had a really bad experience with a grey line tour many years ago (the tour drive/guide had only moved from Chicago three weeks before and knew almost nothing about seattle). I've heard good things about the showmeseattle tours but haven't been on one. i posted some information a couple weeks ago about a downtown walking tour that looks really good.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,797 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What about the Duck tour?

toursofseattle.com does a good tour plus they offer an option to visit the space needle or museum of flight. Small van tours go up on the scenic overlooks where Grayline buses can{t. Duck tour is more gimmicky than anything but fun. They don{t go to the locks or queen anne hill, and they make no stops. Tours I mentioned stop 3 or 4 times to let you out and take pictures.