We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Forks

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Presque Isle
1 post
Save Topic
Seattle to Forks

i'm planning my first trip west this summer to Seattle (first plane ride ever!!!). since we're going to be that close, i feel a trip to Fork's is a must. so my question is, whats the fastest/shortest way to get there? i've looked up the driving directions and it's about a 3 hour drive. a friend of mine suggested taking the ferry. how much will that shorten my trip? which ferry would we take to get us the closest to fork-i'm assuming no matter what ferry we take we'll still have some driving to do. any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Forks

No, it's not a three hour drive. It's well over four hours. The ferry won't shorten your trip at all. It's the same time whether you take the Bainbridge Island Ferry or the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Why do you want to go to Forks? It's a dark, dismal, dying little town.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Forks

Do no let Kaleberg discourage you. I go to Forks often. I am assuming you already know what to expect and either know of the incredible natural wonders near Forks, or are a Twilight Fan. Probably the latter. Take the Bainbridge Ferry, but avoid Fridays and Saturdays. You have to add on the wait, loading and unloading time for the ferry plus a 35 minute crossing time. It will then take you a little over 3hrs to drive to Forks.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Forks

Even four hours from the ferry seems ambitious to me. It is a long haul.

Worth it for fans, though. Be sure to go to La Push to Rialto and Second beaches. They are wonderful even if you aren't a fan of a certain set of books/movies.

Having driven out several times with teenage fans, the plan that worked best for us was to drive out to Port Angeles the night before, stay at the Super 8 (because it is cheap), then drive down to Forks for the day. There is a lot more to do out on the Olympic Peninsula but if all you want to do is see Forks, you can.

Ideally, spend the second night out there, too, and go see Hurricane Ridge before returning to Seattle the next morning.

Be sure to bring postcards or at least your friends' addresses to get a Forks postmark on some mail. They will hand-cancel a book with the postmark if you bring it in (check post office hours for this). The high school also sells real Forks High sweatshirts.

North Platte...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Forks

I have to agree with glaciermeadow, Forks is fantastic. Yes, it is a small, struggling little town, BUT that's the best part! The locals are very welcoming and always available to tell stories and history of the area. I traveled there last spring from the midwest and will be going back to Forks this summer. And yes the Twilight ambiance is fun, but the area is amazing beyond the book! Have a great time! Oh, and DEFINITELY take the ferry, it's cheap and a fun experience.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Forks

It's 129 miles from the Bainbridge Island ferry dock to Forks. There is no reason it should take much more than about 2.5 hours to drive that distance. Much of the route on the Olympic Penninsula will be one lane each direction so there is a possibility of slower driving. Google Maps is estimating just under 50 miles per hour and in my experience that seems about right.

As mentioned in prior posts you have to add on the ferry ride itself which is 35 minutes and then count on 5-10 minutes for loading and unloading plus waiting time at the ferry before the ferry loads. Google Maps lists travel time from the Seattle ferry terminal as 3 hrs, and 15 minutes. Make sure you check the Washington Department of Transportation ferry page for schedules and information on waits for peak time travel.

…wa.gov/ferries/Schedule/ScheduleDetail.aspx…

Before the Twilight movies Forks was just a utilitarian northern gateway to the coastal part of the Olympic National Park. However I think you will find the greater area evocative of the Twilight movies and the area is a good base for exploring some of Olympic National Park. I have stayed there as a base for the NW part of the park -- the spectacular beaches and the Hoh rainforest.

Here are a few Twilight related articles focusing on Forks and La Push.

…blogspot.com/2008/04/pilgrimage-for-twiligh…

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/item_lXWolLotZomNKZ4BQg05PO;jsessionid=25B602877B0737C64E38389A6F691B75

twilight-review.com/illustrated-guide-visiti…

http://www.travelonion.com/index.php?cID=390

Here are the travel blog entries of a writer who posted about her trip on the TripAdvisor forum.

caroundtheworld.com/2010/…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle to Forks

2.5 hours from Bainbridge would get you to about the west end of Lake Crescent in my estimation.

Just my 2¢,

chuck.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle to Forks

Chuck is correct. I live in Port Angeles and do this drive all the time. It takes 3 hours to get from Seattle to Port Angeles, and it doesn't matter whether you take the ferry of the Tacoma Narrows Birdge. It's 3 hours. It takes a bit over an hour to reach Forks from Port Angeles.

As for Forks here is my perspective. The town is simply unattractive. There are no good restaurants at all, and the bad ones are really bad. I'm talking 1950s foil wrapped TV dinner bad. There are a variety of clean, plain, basic lodgings in town. There is nothing to do at night - no movie theater, no nice places to get a drink. The town swimming pool was shut down because the town could not afford to maintain it. It was sad because the town spent years raising the money to build a pool.

A few years ago the town made a strong effort to spruce itself it up for Twilight fans, and I had hopes that Forks would become a more attractive destination. Unfortunately, several things went wrong, chief among them the failure of most of the Twilight enterprises. First the Twilight themed lounge and restaurant closed. Then the tours shut down. Then the Dazzled by Twilight stores in both Forks and Port Angeles closed. There were ugly charges that the owners fled the country after failing to pay both their sales taxes and the rent on the Dazzled by Twilight store in Port Angeles. There is now only one Twilight themed tour running, Native by Twilight. You can still visit the hardware store where Bella worked, the house Edward lived, and the clinic where Dr. Cullen worked, but the high school, which figured prominently in the books, has been effectively rebuilt. There is nothing romantic or charming about any of these sites. The movies were filmed in Oregon, not Forks.

Forks is located next to some of the most beautiful scenery in ONP, including the Hoh Rain Forest and the LaPush beaches. Visitors who do not care much about food, who go straight to bed after a long day of hiking, or who don't mind a rather depressing atmosphere will find it a decent place to stay. But if you would like a good dinner after your hike, a nice glass of wine or beer in the evening, a stroll down a pretty street, a movie, or a chance to hear a little music, you would be out of luck.

North Platte...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle to Forks

Also, we stayed in a sweet little cabin just south of town about 5 minutes, right on the river, made the entire experience even better. I have not stayed at any of the hotels, but we did grab a pizza to go from Pacific Pizza on our way to another beach sunset and it was tasty!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle to Forks

Staying in a rental is by far the best choice. You can cook your own meals and provide your own after dinner entertainment. I hope you did not have the infamous pineapple pizza, though.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle to Forks

Kaleberg what is this obsession with Forks! We know you hate Forks. I think by far the worst part of any drive on the Penninsula is getting through Aberdeen or

endless ugly strip malls of PA. I do noth need to continually need to harp on this. Once is was about the "crime wave" in Forks. Again we haven't to hear about agination the guy who skipped town with the money. Who cares? It is about kids capturing a moment in a place written about in a book of fiction. Why is it you feel these kids imagination is less important to the experience than how many Twilight stores remain open. Lack of good food is a reality. Why, however, do you feel most visitors care about evening entertainment and need a movie theater to fill their evenings when visiting Olympic National Park. This is about being close to a wilderness area. Where do you honestly think most people in Port Angeles eat. Not everyone requires a menu like the one at the Aldewood Bistro. For those that require a movie theater to entertain themselves while on the Olympic Penninsula, I agree do not stay in Forks. For those like me that want to sit and watch a glorious sunset on the Ocean with your own bottle of wine; consider Forks.