We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alki Beach during a Seatac Layover

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parkland, Florida
Level Contributor
201 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Alki Beach during a Seatac Layover

We have a 6 hour layover at Seatac and have been downtown so we think we will hit Alki beach for a few hours. Can you please tell me what specificically we should be seeing in the beach area and where we shoould eat thats good and local. BTW, our layover is 12:30p-6:45p on a thursday in early June. Thank you.,

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alki Beach during a Seatac Layover

How do you plan to get to Alki?

After/before a flight, I would have my shoes so I could walk along the beach walk, depending on where you are dropped off. You can also rent bikes or skates or kayaks & paddle boards. Do remember, it will depend on the weather what you can do outdoors. Look at Alki Kayak & tours for rentals. Also look at

Wheel Fun www.wheelfunrentals.com/listlocations/104

For food, it depends what you want/like. One of my favorite things is to grab take-away fish and chips and enjoy it at a picnic table on the beach. If you want sit down, I would choose from Salty's, Catcus, Alki Cafe, or Duke's. With your time frame, you might want to consider Happy Hour on the deck at Salty's - it's 3 to 6pm daily, and a perfect way to spend the afternoon overlooking Elliott Bay. Duke's and Catcus also have a 3-6pm happy hour.

At the far end of Alki, under the West Seattle bridge is the Luna Park Cafe, one of my favorite guilty pleasures for burgers and shakes.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alki Beach during a Seatac Layover

Getting there and back is going to be a bit of a hassle. You can either take the light rail downtown and then catch the 56, or you can rent a car. With a car, it's going to be.. maybe $40-50 (presuming you're over 25) plus gas. The bus and train will run you $16-$20. For the extra money you gain an hour of time in Seattle.

If you go for the car, I would recommend checking out The Junction in West Seattle. Bakery Nouveau is worth the trip, as is Ice Cream at Husky's Deli, and Easy Street Records. That is probably a 45 minute visit and can only be done in your time frame either instead of Alki or with Alki and a car.

On Alki, it's a small area so it's not hard to find everything. Depends on what you want. Just check yelp for restaurants. Phoenecia is quite good, but pricey. The Celtic Swell is a good Irish themed wateringhole. Spuds has been around since WWII, but I think Sunfish is better (and Ivar's downtown better still) for fish and chips. Pepperdock is where people get their icecream on the beach, but if you're going to Husky's you can skip it because their ice cream is easily the best in West Seattle.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alki Beach during a Seatac Layover

You could also get a taxi.

I would not take the light rail downtown, except perhaps to approach West Seattle by the Water Taxi for fun. That is for foot passengers only.

From there, take a taxi back to the airport.

It might be cost effective to do that car rental just to buy time!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alki Beach during a Seatac Layover

I'm thinking that a taxi or town car would be quickest & easiest for you. With your limited time the rental car pick-up/drop-off would eat into your precious time.

portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/…default.aspx

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alki Beach during a Seatac Layover

sorry to disagree but for someone unfamiliar with the area to suggest light rail, somehow getting to the water taxi, and finding their way to restaraunts is pretty unrealistic. Its easy for us cause we know where we are going but for a stranger this is just bad advice. A better suggestion would be to go the Seattle waterfront. Its a more direct destination with a large variety of shop and eateries to occupy your time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alki Beach during a Seatac Layover

Well, I disagree. If the person wants to go to Alki, then I will help him get to Alki.

If they want to go to Alki, then I've given them the best options: Either take the bus, which isn't very hard (Catch LINK. Go to third ave. Catch bus with sign "56 ALKI". Arrive!), or rent a car and drive to save time and visit more places. That is what they need to do in order to do what they want to do. It's not that difficult at all with the intertubes and google maps. :)

Edited: 15 May 2012, 08:11
7. Re: Alki Beach during a Seatac Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:18