We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

And vice a versa. We're flying into Seattle spending 3 nights at Sooke Harbour House on Vancouver Island than back to Seattle and 3 nights there.

Our plan now is to take the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria going there and go back to Seattle by taking ferry from Victoria to Vancouver than drive to Seattle.

Sound good?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

My preference would be to take the ferry back to Port Angeles and then drive to Seattle rather than deal with the border mess on the mainland.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

I think it's a great idea to do both! The routes are very different.

The BC ferry route between Victoria and Vancouver (Sidney and Tsawwassen) is VERY scenic, one of my favourite routes. You pass thru the islands and at points are very close. It's also more convenient because there are many departures every day, I think it leaves every 90 minutes and that really frees up your day.. But it's expensive and you do have to deal with the border crossing. On a weekend it's easily a 2 hr wait at Blaine. Not as bad on weekdays.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

Thank you yescanada and bobmrg.

I think we'll stick with our plan, our traveling will be on weekdays with hopefully less delay at the border crossing.

thanks again.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

I'd recommend reversing it. The border delays entering Canada are almost always shorter than those entering the US, and coming back, you can park your car in the queue in the Inner Harbour and walk around for a bit before departing.

seattle
Level Contributor
657 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

Did you look at the Sidney to Anacortes, WA route? Goes through the San Juan Islands.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

We did but it's a 3 hour ride. It does have a stop at Friday harbor. Has anyone done it, is it a scenic 3 hour ferry ride?

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

cicimo,

Thanks for the suggestion, we decided to take this one coming back to Seattle. Decided even though it's longer it will be nice to see the San Juan islands.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 17:45
8. Re: HELP! Getting from Vancouver Island to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:41