We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Rainier vs Mt Olympia

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pleasant Valley...
1 post
Save Topic
Mt Rainier vs Mt Olympia

Will be staying in the University area of Seattle ( 3 days ) in late June and would like to do a one day trip to either Mt Rainier or Mt Olympia. I will be spending two days in the San Jaun Islands also. Which park would be a better fit time wise and intinerary wise?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,110 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Rainier vs Mt Olympia

There is no Mt. Olympia. I'm not trying to attack you personally, Barbara L, but for some reason we have been having a lot of posts lately in which posters use the wrong names for local sites. It makes it hard, even impossible, to figure out what they want to do. It's crystal clear from your post that you have done no research and are confused about the area.

I will try to read your mind. I assume you mean Mt. Olympus instead of Mt. Olympia. Mt. Olympus is in the heart of Olympic National Park, and you can't get to it. Visiting Mt. Olympus requires driving 5 hours from Seattle to the Hoh Rain Forest and then hiking over 17 miles of difficult terrain, some of which requires technical climbing skills.

Make your day trip to Mt. Rainier.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Rainier vs Mt Olympia

Do you know how to "play" the ferries for San Juan Island and return? Tourist season and all, driving times, etc. If not, post back.

Or, the ferry from Port Townsend toward (not to) Anacortes... Depends on your ferry starting point.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,626 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Rainier vs Mt Olympia

I would assume you are refering to Olympic National Park and may have heard about Hurricane Ridge from which you can see a little of Mt. Olympus. One day is not a good idea for Olympic. Rainier is easier to visit. Keep in mind there will be a lot of snow up there in June. This means on the ground at higher elevations. Not snow on the road! Get an early start. Drive to the visitor's center at Paradise by way of the Nisqually entrance. it is beautiful up there if you get a reasonably clear day.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Rainier vs Mt Olympia

Mt. Rainier is where you want to go for a day trip. The Olympic National Park isn't somewhere you can get to, enjoy, and return to Seattle in a day. When planning your trip to Mt. Rainier, be sure to check the condition of the roads. The closer and, in my opinion, better side of the mountain (Sunrise) is still snowed in at least a little while longer.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Rainier vs Mt Olympia

MT Rainier by far. Your choice is easy since you can only do a day trip.

6. Re: Mt Rainier vs Mt Olympia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:42