We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My visit to Seattle

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
My visit to Seattle

I'm going to be visiting Seattle this summer for the first time with my daughter and we are going to rent a car after we fly in. I want to stay where the shopping is good and hotel or b&b are good. Please help me out

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My visit to Seattle

a car isn't really needed in Seattle. If your trip is centered around shopping then consider staying around Southcenter Mall which is just east of the airport. Its actually a decent area for food and shopping and there is the lt rail into downtown. Look on Hotelcoupons.com

You could also just stay downtown and or take a bus to a mall from downtown. Its pretty easy to get around.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My visit to Seattle

"I want to stay where the shopping is good and hotel or b&b are good. Please help me out"

We would all like to help you out, but you have to do your part first. What do you consider good shopping: malls, outlets, high end boutiques, or urban department stores such as Nordstrom's? Are you shopping for clothing, housewares, bedding, or outdoor gear? I couldn't understand your reference to staying where the hotels and B&Bs are good. Are you looking for lodging next to a mall? The hotels in downtown Seattle are all good; it all depends on your preference and your budget. There are a few B&Bs in Seattle, but not many.

Have you looked at the right hand side of this page? It has a lot of useful information about places to stay in Seattle. If you will rewrite your post with more specifics, you will get lots of help from the TripAdvisors. In the meantime, I agree with Davidgmg that a car is not the best idea in Seattle. Parking is very expensive, and there is good public transportation.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My visit to Seattle

I would not recommend centering your stay around a suburban mall, unless your definition of "good shopping" is the standard assortment of stores that you can find in every mall in America. Most of the more interesting stores there are also located downtown. The light rail station is more than two miles away from the mall. Staying downtown and doing a trip out to the mall (if the shopping downtown isn't enough) is a better option.

Then again, I think it's a misconception that shopping in Seattle revolves around downtown or the malls. The best shopping is in the small, local shops in the neighborhoods that are anywhere but the suburbs and downtown. Capitol Hill, especially the Pike/Pine corridor, is a good place to check out (but with limited time you might want to do some research ahead of time). Ballard is also a good spot for shopping. More details about what you want to do will help us narrow it down more.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My visit to Seattle

Thanks very much for the advice. The car is out. We will stay downtown. Thanks again.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My visit to Seattle

If you want higher end shopping, it is easy to hop a bus to Bellevue.

To get to the outlet mall in Tulalip, I would rent a car for a day. It is cheaper to rent from downtown than from the airport. Return it at the end of the day so you don't have to pay to park it overnight.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My visit to Seattle

Good choice nonnie56. If you need more specific shopping recommendations, do not hesitate to ask. My Canadian friends always make a beeline for the Nordstrom Rack (major retailer Nordstrom's off-price store). In downtown, the Rack is located at Westlake Center. I have a route that includes Nordstrom, Macy's, the stores at Pacific Place, Anthropology, a few boutiques, and always the Nordstrom Rack. Enjoy and happy shopping!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My visit to Seattle

"I have a route that includes Nordstrom, Macy's, the stores at Pacific Place, Anthropology, a few boutiques, and always the Nordstrom Rack."

Gentle smile here... :)

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My visit to Seattle

Yup, just ran my gauntlet on Friday and, surprise, surprise, found two more pairs of shoes that I HAD to have. Shocking, I know.

;-)

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My visit to Seattle

how many feet do you have?

10. Re: My visit to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:17