We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Rainier Question

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Rainier Question

Considering how the weather has been in MRNP and that I am planning a day trip from Seattle in two weeks, are there any recommendations for scenic areas I will be able to visit in the Park that will be accessible? I am looking for only short hikes, outlooks accessible by short hikes and/or car, and the like. Are any of the glaciers easily viewable?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Rainier Question

When you get here, you'll need to check which roads are open and how much snow is still on the ground. It looks like Sunrise will still be closed when you get here, which really leaves you with Paradise.

Road status: nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/road-status.htm

Trail status (snow cover): nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/trails-and-backco…

Day Hikes in MRNP: nps.gov/mora/…day-hiking-at-mount-rainier.htm

There are a couple of good spots on your way up that you should hit, when going to Paradise.

The bridge, with a huge view of the Mountain: http://goo.gl/maps/ce1B

A view of the Cascades: http://goo.gl/maps/Mdv3

A waterfall: http://goo.gl/maps/cNmW

The visitor center and trailhead: http://goo.gl/maps/Ittr

Bring warm boots and socks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Rainier Question

Thanks for your reply. When packing for my trip, will I need a warm (i.e., not light) jacket, hat and gloves for my RMNP visit, also? Additionally, what is the reality of the trail conditions I am most likely to encounter as a day tripper to Paradise? - snow covered trails, snow/mud, etc.?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Rainier Question

Starwalker, you ask a lot of questions, but you have not been very good about reading the replies. SeattleFlyer gave you a link to trail conditions. It tells you the % of snow on each trail as well as other pertinent info. I am not trying to be unkind, but lately a number of us TripAdvisors are starting to show signs of burnout, and I am one of them. It is frustrating to be asked questions that we have already answered. I actually checked the websites that SeattleFlyer gave you, and, really, they are gold. Just read them and post back if you still have questions.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Rainier Question

Yes, I can see the % of snow. I am wondering what the trails are like for hiking. When I was in the Rockies some trails had snow but the above freezing temperatures made for less than ideal hiking conditions - mud and standing water in addition to some snow. Sorry if it sounds like I have not been looking at the recommended links - I have and I appreciate the information. Thanks again.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Rainier Question

You should be prepared for the outdoors. The trails are easy in Paradise, but this isn't a paved loop. The trails may go from dry dirt to muddy in places to snow. Check the links I gave when it gets closer, because in two weeks things will be different up there. As I said, the biggest thing is to bring good boots and warm socks. You do not need a winter jacket, but you should layer.

Edited: 03 June 2012, 02:00
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Rainier Question

Expect mud at lower elevations (Longmire, Ohanepecosh) and snow at Paradise. I doubt you'll see anything BUT snow at Paradise. Your best bet, as long as the weather is decent that day, is to stop in at the Longmire Visitor Center and ask them the questions you asked in your original post. They can point you toward the best trails, views, etc for conditions that day. If it's raining or just generally socked in (check the forecast and webcams before leaving Seattle), you might want to skip it. It's entirely possible, particularly in June, to drive up there and see nothing but a wall of white.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Rainier Question

Thanks for the information. If the weather does not cooperate, I'll have to adjust my plans and go somewhere else to hike on a day trip, maybe to Whidbey Island or the hills west of Seattle. It does seem that a lot is going to depend on the weather. I'd rather not spend all day driving to Paradise just to get out of my car for a short while and not see much. There are other options, after all.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Rainier Question

Extended forecast is showing clearing next Monday. Sunny to partly cloudy. 0% precip. We'll see when we get closer. Maybe it will hold out for you.

Incidentally the crazy Fremont Solstice Parade and Fair will be 6/15 and 6/16.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Rainier Question

Yes, I've been monitoring the extended forecast daily and I just saw that. I', keeping my fingers crossed. By the way, what is the Fremont Solstice Parade and Fair and is it crazy I want to avoid or crazy I want to be there?

Thanks!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mount Rainier Question

The Solstice Parade is crazy. Whether it is an attend or avoid, really depends on you. It is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think of it as one of those experiences you probably need to attend once in a lifetime...and Fremont is the unofficial "Center of the Universe". You get a good idea of the festivities by googling or going to You Tube. There are plenty of pics & videos online.