We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Anacortes to San Juan Islands

Old Monroe, Missouri
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Seattle to Anacortes to San Juan Islands

My husband and I will be flying into Seattle in August for a week. Would really like to enjoy some relaxation, wineries, mountains and islands. Looks like there is so much to see in that short week. Would like some suggestions for each stop. Thanks.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,618 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Anacortes to San Juan Islands

When you say "each stop" do you mean a stop for relaxation, a stop for wineries, a stop for mountains, and a stop for islands? That is a lot to fit into one week, given the huge size of WA and the time required to travel by ferries as well as by roads. Also, you have left it very late for the San Juans. Most lodging for August is booked. You can look at today's TripAdvisor posting to see a lament from a traveler trying to find lodging for her family on SJI. August is the busiest time of the year for the entire region but especially for the San Juans.

I can help with the wineries. I suggest that you either drive to or book a tour of Woodinvile, WA, which is just outside Seattle. This area has many wineries, although not vineyards. They range from folksy affairs run out a warehouse to grand estates.

A more accessible island trip that does not require a ferry ride or a long, long wait in a ferry line, is a visit to Whidbey Island. Deception Pass is gorgeous.

There are many mountain choices, and I can't pick one for you as I know nothing about you. Mt. Rainier is a day trip from Seattle, as is Leavenworth. The North Cascades are farther as are the Olympic Mountains.

It is very hard, indeed impossible, to provide the best advice for such a broad query that covers so much ground. If you read a guide book such as Frommer's and then wrote in with specific questions about specific destinations, you would get much better advice.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Anacortes to San Juan Islands

If you haven't been to Leavenworth it's definitely worth the trip. GREAT food, shops and atmosphere. Having lived in Germany for 3 years I really enjoyed it there.

Whidbey is def worth a trip as well with a stop at Deception Pass State Park. If you want a great fish lunch, hit up Seabolts in Oak Harbor (if it's still open). If you like Korean or Sushi, there's a place on Goldie Road called Ariang Gardens that I HIGHLY recommend.

Follow State route 20 down to Coupville. Coupeville has a quaint little town that you can walk around in. I love the antique stores. From there you can keep heading down 20 to Fort Casey and enjoy walking around to check out the LIght house and the battery's. If you don't want to back track you can head across the bottom of the island, continue down 20 and catch the Clinton ferry back to the mainland.

Edited: 16 June 2012, 00:27
3. Re: Seattle to Anacortes to San Juan Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 10:17