We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which driving route to include Deception Pass?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
310 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Which driving route to include Deception Pass?

On Wed., July 25th we will be leaving Vancouver around 7:30am. We would like to visit Deception Pass to see the beautiful scenery. We are wondering if we should drive to D Pass, then backtrack, with a side trip to LaConner or Anacortes, then back to Rt 5 and drive on down to Seattle or if we should drive the length of Whidbey Island instead?

Are there enough little shops, restaurants, etc along the route to make it worthwhile? .

We enjoy scenery, glass-blowing, artisans, etc.

We are also wondering about the ferry slowing down our progress. If we spend from 10:000am to around 1pm, driving the length of the island, will that put us at the ferry at a very busy time? Would love to take the ferry, but don't want to spend a few hours waiting in line, etc. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which driving route to include Deception Pass?

If time allows (assuming you have the day) consider getting off I-5 at the Fairhaven exit and take Chuckanut Drive (SR11) south to the junction of SR 20 which will take you to Deception Pass. Fairhaven (south end of Bellingham) is a very cute historic district, and Chuckanut Drive is quite scenic as it follows the shoreline all the way.

After Deception Pass I'd keep going the rest of the way down Whidbey to the Mukilteo ferry. The towns of Coupeville and especially Langley are both very attractive; in the case of Langley very much so, similar to La Conner but cozier. It's a much more scenic drive than going back to I-5, and even with the ferry not a lot longer.

You shouldn't have any problems with the Mukilteo ferry on a Wednesday afternoon/evening. Be sure to take SR 526 from Mukilteo to I-5; you'll pass the Boeing widebody factory, biggest building in the world (and the site of the Future of Flight center/Boeing tour, if that's of interest. www.futureofflight.org

Illinois
Level Contributor
310 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which driving route to include Deception Pass?

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Sounds like a plan!

3. Re: Which driving route to include Deception Pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:41