We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

Hello all,

My mum and I are going for a mini roadtrip in September and I was wondering if anyone can make recommendations as to where we should stop and visit on our way from Vancouver, BC to downtown Seattle. We will be passing through Bellingham, Mount Vernon, Everett...any ideas?

Thanks!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

Please tell us what you are interested in so we can suggest appropriate things. Chuck...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

Anything to sightsee (key places to visit), shopping, views, restaurants/cafes, museums, any of that sort. I would love to go for a hike, but we won't have time to fit that in.

Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,996 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

Since you don't have time for a hike, please tell us how much time you DO have. Any time to do an alternate route through Deception Pass and Whidbey Island? Or are you looking simply for things to see as you shoot through Bellingham and Everett?

I think most of us would consider Vancouver to Seattle to be almost a commute rather than a "road trip," unless we looped off of the I-5 for an extra day or so. Do you have the time to do that?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

I'm going to suggest that you get off I5 in Bellingham and take the Chuckanut Drive. You can then turn left towards Edson and then get on Highway 20 towards Anacortes. Turn down to LaConner for a cute little waterfront town with shops and restaurants. Nice for a little wander about. Then on to Deception Pass and Whitby Island. Definitely get out of the car at Deception Pass. There is a great walk that takes you around the beach to get under the bridge, but you need some time for this.

Then on down Whitby Island (Fort Casey and Fort Eby are both worth stops) and then take the Mukelteo ferry at the foot of the island to get through Everett and back on the I5.

Not sure that this would be doable all in one day, certainly not if you wanted to make any real stops on the way. If you did it as a straight drive it would be quite achievable and much nicer than gunning down the I5.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

The only time I would avoid making a trip to Whidbey Island in September is towards the end of the month when Oyster Run happens. There are a LOT of motorcycles on the road and the drive has taken me twice as long on multiple occasions. Its the 23rd of Sept this year. Just something to keep in mind.

http://www.oysterrun.org/

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
606 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

I agree with Vancouverite67, you need to take a drive down Chuckanut. If you do that, you could check out the Fairhaven historical district on your way. It's a great place to grab a quick bite to eat.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

It is always better to take the Chuckanut from north to south, so the scenic pullouts are on your side of the road. Maybe pick up your bite to eat and stop for a picnic at Larrabee State Park. I think you would have time to walk around there. It isn't really very far from Vancouver to Seattle. Are you going back the same day?

8. Re: Road trip from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:16