We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Texas
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary

I think I have a good idea of what I want to do on my four day/three night trip to Seattle as far as touring and sightseeing now. I still don't have the specific times and days, but know that I want to wander around Pike's Place Market more than once, just looking around, shopping and maybe eating lunch.

I plan to take the monorail to the Seattle Center and see the Needle, but don't think I'll pay that much to go up, so I think I might try the view from Smith Tower. At the center, what do you think of the glass house exhibit?

For the water view, I'm considering the ferry to Bainbridge Island; probably go over and turn around and come back. But I do have a question about the tour around the lake and the locks- if I take the tour that goes by the Sleepless in Seattle houseboat, does that trip include seeing the fish swimming upstream? 

I'm going to take the coffee crawl tour; I think I can learn about the city and at the same time enjoy some great coffee. I wanted to take the chocolate dessert tour as well, but it is also a mid day time tour (both are around the noonish hours and think the dessert tour would be more appropriate around tea time or in the evening). 

Any ideas for days and times? Any ideas I've not thought about? (Ps. No car)

Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

I went to the locks the other day (I want to say it was July 4th). There were plenty of salmon in the steps to the ladder that you could see from underwater viewing window but we saw essentially no salmon jumping between levels of the ladder. However we noticed that at the bottom of the ladder no water was running between several levels. This seemed to be the reason no fish were climbing the ladder. I asked the ranger and she told me that it was essentially right at low tide and this was affecting the water levels in the ladder but that there are also tubes or passages below water level to enable the maximum number of salmon to climb at one time so they don't have to jump. With the low tide it appears that fewer salmon were using the ladder and instead they were taking the path of least resistance. The low tide that date was a fairly significant -3.2'.

That being said I saw that through July 4th 78,940 salmon have passed through the locks and interestingly July 4th saw the biggest numbers of the year to date (9,600 salmon).

I would add that we also say a Blue Heron doing a little fishing the day we visited and also saw a harbor seal swimming around and poking his head out every once in a while. No sea lions hunting when we were there but they can be seen there I posted a vid on Youtube last September.

You see a sea lion for the first time at about :35 but the real action is 1:04-1:27.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Is the tour you are referring to the Argosy Locks Cruise? www.argosycruises.com/publiccruises/locks.cfm

You will pass through the locks in the boat but you won't get off the boat so you won't be able to see the ladder. You may see salmon jumping out of the water at the entrance to the locks and fish ladder but you won't see the ladder itself which is along the S.shore of the locks. The cruise goes out into Elliot Bay, north past the big cruise ship terminals, around Magnoiia and the bluffs of Discovery Park, into the locks at Ballard then past the fishing fleet docks at Fisherman's Terminal, along the industrial ship canal waterfront, past Fremont and the Fremont Bridge, past Gasworks Park and into Lake Union where most of the houseboats are and where the floatplanes take off. They then drive you back downtown.

You could take a bus to Ballard. It is easy enough to do. The route 17 in fact will take you right to the entrance to the locks but walking from the center of Ballard really only takes about 10 minutes. It's essentially 6/10 of a mile. So you could take an 18 to Ballard as well which drops you off in the center of Ballard. To see the houseboats you will have to go up Eastlake or Westlake or you can see houseboats from Gasworks Park quite nicely which you can get to easily from Fremont. Both Ballard and Fremont are well worth visiting and you can reach either by public transportation.

Here is a neat no-narration video tour of Gasworks which has a couple glimpses of the houseboats.

www.youtube.com/watch…

This is more like it will look like in July

www.youtube.com/watch…

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

Are you talking about the Chiluly Garden and Glass? It's outstanding.

They have a combo ticket with the Space Needle, which will save a couple $, but it's pricey.

seattle
Level Contributor
38 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

If you like music you could combine your trip to the space needle with a visit to the Experience Music Project. I would want to see the houseboats from the water front.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

Seeing the houseboats from the water is great. In the past I have seen open house walking tours of certain houseboats ... other than that the only way to visit the private docks is to have a friend who owns one.

You know I was looking around and came across information on "Seattle Ferry Service" and the m/v Fremont Avenue. I initially got the lead from Trumba and had not heard of this tour or the water taxi that the same owners run between University of Washington and S. Lake Union.

http://www.seattleferryservice.com/

Here is what they say about the Sunday tours:

"The Sunday Ice Cream Cruise now departs from S. Lake Union Park. Year round service, the Sunday Ice Cream Cruise departs on the hour 11am through 5pm (summer schedule, see below). This is a 45-50 minute tour of the Lake Union floating homes, a peek at Dale Chihuly’s studio, Gas Works Park and the Sleepless in Seattle houseboat. The tour includes a humorous narration of old Seattle and some funky background music. Adults $11, Seniors $10, Kids 5-13 $7, under 5 $2. Pets OK. Walk-on only, tickets available on boarding, cash or check only. Ice cream treats, coffee, hot chocolate, tomato soup and soft drinks, $2 to $4."

Here is what they say about the water taxi, which they call a "mini ferry."

"***UW to SLU mini Ferry service on Lake Union***

*** The mini-Ferry will start 2012 schedule runs 7 days a week through October.

Ride the mini-Ferry to the Wooden Boat Festival June 30th through July 4th.

Departures from the UW on the hour.

Departures from S. Lake Union Park on the half hour.

Fare $5 each way. Cash or check. No cards.

Service Schedule

Monday through Thursday 8:00am through 6:00pm

Fridays 8:00am through 9:00pm

Saturdays 10:00am through 9:00pm

Sundays 10:00am through 6:00pm

News link on the mini-ferry: thesunbreak.com/2011/…

The ferry route between the UW and SLU takes 25 minutes and passes by 100′s of houseboats and colorful industrial sites. At the S. Lake Union end of the route the ferry takes you to the Center of Wooden Boats, future home of MOHI and link to the S. Lake Union Trolley. At the UW side you can visit the Agua Verde kayak paddle club and restaurant. This landing is also the back door to the UW Hospital. "

Anyone else hear have any experience with this company? Sounds interesting.

-K

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

A few links on that mini ferry/ water taxi.

…nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016361652_sluf…

thesunbreak.com/2011/…

lakeunioninseattle.com/2011/…

It looks like the water taxi is a different boat than the m/v Fremont Ave. It's a little 14 passenger Navy whaleboats (the Espresso and the Mocha).

6. Re: Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 06:17