We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ride the Duck tour ??

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Riverside...
Level Contributor
60 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Ride the Duck tour ??

I am considering the Duck Tour for my husband, my son and myself. We will only have a few hours in Seattle before our flight and thought it would be a good way to see a lot of Seattle in our limited time. I will be interested in sitting by a window and taking pictures, hoping that I don't become part of the entertainment ( as I am very shy ). Would sitting toward the back still be a good location pictures without being "drawn in"? I think my son will enjoy this tour otherwise I'd stick with something more traditional as far as sightseeing goes. I'll enjoy it too, as long as I can just sit and watch the fun around me.......

Do you think I'll do ok?

seattle
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

No. Quite a lot of the time is spent going to Lake Union so the Duck can go in the water. Suggest your son and husband take the Duck Tour and you go on a bus tour or even better stroll around the city taking pictures.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,525 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

its an ok tour but not good for photography as it doesn't really stop anywhere but just keeps driving. Your not part of the entertainment its all about being silly, the driver won't pick on you or anyone else so where you sit doesn't matter. Small van tours such as

toursnorthwest.com

toursofseattle.com

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

You might also like the Argosy harbor tour. I think your son would like it, too. It is much calmer.

I had a good time on the ducks tour, but some recent guests of mine weren't too happy. Their particular tour was half full with a very drunk group that made tons of noise so they couldn't even hear what the driver was saying. If you decide to take the tour, watch out for raucous fellow passengers, and ask to switch units if there is a super rowdy group. BTW, the drunks sat in the back.

I don't think the drivers make you participate. Be careful if you ever go to Teattro Zinzanni, though!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,336 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

There are no "windows" it's an open air bus/boat. It's very silly with the driver encouraging loud sing-alongs to disco music on the overhead speakers but no one is singled out. I work in Pioneer Square so see them go by ALL the time this time of year.

I also would recommend an Argosy Harbor Tour instead. There's sone that is only 1 hour. You wouldn't see as much of Seattle but much calmer and nicer imo.

Another idea is the double-decker red sightseeing busses, I think Greyline runs them?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

When we took the duck tour we didn't talk to anyone and no one talked to us, so being shy is irrelevant. If your goal is photography, though, it is a poor choice.

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

The Tour is great if you just want to relax and have a good time. We were able to get some nice photos when out on Lake Union. I thought it was a really fun way to spend two hours in Seattle and would go again! :)

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

I am in my 50's and when my wife and daughter suggested going on the duck, I thought it was a bit corny and wasn't wild about it, but went along. After I quit worrying about what people thought as we were going by, then I had as much fun as everyone else on board. It was pretty cool. I got some great pics and our driver was a hoot (especially when he put on his Gilligan hat and sang the song). I'm glad we went.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

I resisted the Duck for a long time for those reasons. Also because they don't have a lot of freeboard, and don't seem that safe to me as a boat. However, I was dragged along on a trip with some exchange students, as I didn't want to seem like an old fuddy duddy. It was a great time, and the freeboard is bigger than it looks like it would be so it felt safe. Their accident record locally is very good (as in, I don't know of any accidents other than the boat which sank when someone did not replace the drain plug! No people were on board).

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

I went on the Ducks tour a few years ago ... it was GREAT! I loved every minute of it, and the Lake Union portion, though short, is my favorite.

I just went again three weeks ago with a large group. I so wanted it to be great, it was good, but not so "great", and while the other tours were rocking', our driver was a bit of a dud, he seemed tired, just going through the motions. I jealous of the other "ducks", who looked liked they were having a blast. Just know that it can vary with the driver...

Edited: 06 September 2012, 03:15
10. Re: Ride the Duck tour ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 04:18