We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senic Day Drives From Seattle

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
157 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Senic Day Drives From Seattle

We would like to spend September 18 outside the city enjoying senic views and the outdoors. Olympic National Park seems a bit far; we would probably not want to spend more than 5 or 6 hours in the car, although we enjoy driving and winding roads. Lots of hiking isn't necessary, although shorter walks would be fine.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,874 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

Take hwy 2 to Leavenworth. Its a little Bavarian style town in the middle of the Cascade mtns.

leavenworth.org

you can then come home on I-90 and stop at Snoqualmie Falls. That would make a really nice day trip. Its about 130 miles to Leavenworth from downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

Danke, davidgmg!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

If you get decent weather, hands down Mt. Rainier National Park!!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
744 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

Chuckanut drive up north near Bellingham. One of the most beautiful drives you'll ever see (ok, so I'm a little biased).

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

They are all good suggestions.

If you do the Chuckanut, my advice is to take I-5 to Bellingham. Spend some time up there. Take the Chuckanut from Fairhaven to Bow at the end of the day, just before sunset. If you would like a walk, you can stop at Larrabee State Park (need a Discovery Pass for parking) and walk along the bouldered shoreline. It is beautiful. Going south on the Chuckanut puts you right on the view side, and it is easy to pull in and out of the scenic pullouts.

Another trip would be Whidbey Island from the Mukilteo Ferry.

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

Whidbey Island. You can do a loop tour. It's 45 minutes from downtown to the Mukilteo ferry, then a 15 minute crossing. The ferry leaves every 1/2 hour. Whidbey has several outstanding parks, including Deception Pass State Park, Ebey's Landing National Historic Reserve, charming towns, beautiful views.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58824-s2/Whidbey-Isl…

Island:Washington:Background.html

http://www.nps.gov/ebla/index.htm

Edited: 05 September 2012, 13:19
Mentioned in this post
Mukilteo
Mukilteo
Washington
Washington
Washington
United States
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

Agree on Whidbey Island. It's easy to do a very nice loop drive that's basically a mini-tour of what the Puget Sound country has to offer.

Start by heading to Mukilteo via I-5 and SR 526 (the "Boeing Freeway") past the Boeing widebody plant, the biggest building in the world. Have a look around Mukilteo with its nice little lighthouse and waterfront park, then take the ferry to Whidbey Island.

Stop at the very cute waterfront towns of Langley and Coupeville (galleries, cafes, etc.) then visit the lovely and spectacular Deception Pass area, including the state park next to the churning water flowing through the pass.

Continue across to Fidalgo Island then return (by bridge this time) to the mainland and stop at the little town of La Conner, another charming waterfront village. From there it's back to I-5 and Seattle.

Whidbey is lovely in late summer, you ought to get good views of the Olympic mountains and probably Mount Baker on the mainland, and the good thing about Whidbey is that even if the weather isn't ideal, it's in the "rain shadow" cast by the Olympics, so if it's drippy on the mainland often it's dry on the island.

Oh, be sure to stop for a piece of pie at Greenbank Farm - http://www.whidbeypies.com/ - a mandatory stop on this route.

Here's a map: http://goo.gl/maps/57wmF

Mentioned in this post
Mukilteo
Mukilteo
Washington
La Conner
La Conner
Washington
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

Thank you, all. My dad was stationed on Whidby Island 40 years ago and I visited Mt. Baker as a kid. Unless there are time restraints (I haven't really looked at it yet) this is probably the route we'll take.

Again, many thanks.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

If you do Whidbey, plan to leave the main road and visit the towns, parks, etc that have been mentioned. The highway up the island really isn't scenic, but if you detour off it, it's quite nice.

10. Re: Senic Day Drives From Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2013, 10:16