We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

homeless
11 posts
Save Topic
Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

Hello,

We are coming to California from Asia with our kids and our grandparents (non skiers) are joining from Europe at Christmas. We are looking for a recommendation of a ski resort near Seattle (<3 hours drive) that works for 3 generations including non-skiers. Definitely ski in/ski out and a walking town feel. We do not want to take shuttles to get around. We are fine to not have the best ski slopes, we never see snow so we are excited either way. The equivalent resort style we have heard of in Lake Tahoe is Northstar. Thanks for any recommendation.

Regards,

Daniel

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,168 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

Seattle doesn't have too many resource that fit this description

May I suggest you look up at Whistler near Vancouver BC. You can take a train from Seattle with connecting bus right to Whistler so you wouldn't need a car

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

There are no destination ski resorts in WA. The only ski area that even has ski in/out lodging is Crystal Mt., but there is nothing for non-skiers to do, and no village--it's just a base area. (It's actually one of the nice things about our ski areas--the skiing is top-notch, but since there are no destination resorts it's just us locals--no Colorado style crowds).

I agree with #1--you want Whistler. It's ~4.5 hours from Seattle, depending on border lines, but it's an easy drive--no mountain passes to negotiate. Book asap for Xmas.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,007 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

British Columbia has literally dozens of exactly what you are describing if that suits you. Here's a few, just to get an idea:

http://winter.skisilverstar.com

--closest to Vernon

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com

--good access via Kamloops airport

http://www.bigwhite.com

--also good access from Kelowna airport

http://www.mountwashington.ca

--reasonable access from Comox airport

I've skied Mount Baker a few times and think its a great hill. Anyone have any idea why they've never developed any on-hill accommodation? With all the mountains, I'm surprised there aren't more options for skiing in WA.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

I would guess that most WA ski areas are operated on land leased from the National Park Service, so development opportunities are extremely limited.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

I really enjoyed Whistler although I don't ski and we didn't stay in the village. We went for a long weekend with a big group of friends and rented a cabin on a nearby lake. Lots of eating and drinking. It is not 3 hours from Seattle though. I would plan on 5 hours.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

sodomojo, I think you meant National Forest Service... :)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

Thanks, Voyaging! Sometimes there's a disconnect between my brain and my keyboard...

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

Well, that's typically the case in Colorado and Utah, too (ski resorts operating on land leased from the Forest Service). I think the real reason is that when the industry was developing, WA was just too remote to attract big crowds from the rest of the country--building a ski resort here was not economically viable. It probably still isn't, given how easy it is for the rest of the country to access the resorts of CO and UT. And it's nearly impossible now to expand a ski area to turn it into a destination resort due to environmental and other regulations. It took White Pass 26 years to get permission to build the two new lifts and day lodge that opened a couple years ago. Remember the Early Winters Ski Resort proposal? That was fought over for decades before finally being defeated. Etc etc.

That was probably way more than anyone needed to know.

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

There are cabin rentals near Mt. Baker - but not much for non-skiers to do. Unless you are like me and have a cast on your leg and go to the lodge to make up stories about how it got that way.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,007 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Destination ski resort near seattle at Christmas

I'm finding it interesting! It was a surprise for me to read this thread and realize that there aren't really any ski resorts in WA when we have literally dozens of good ones in BC. However, as we are primarily XC skiiers in our family, I'm keen to do a trip to the Methow Valley in winter, which I have read good things about.

Oh, I forgot about Hemlock Valley, which is very easy reach from Seattle and Vancouver and has on hill accommodation

http://www.hemlockvalleyresort.com

However, I don't think it has much in the way of a walking village for the non-skiiers, but fairly close to Harrison Hot Springs!

But I don't disagree with the recommendation for Whistler. Its one of the world's top destination ski resorts for a reason - with a price tag to match.

Edited: 19 September 2012, 21:53