We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

I need your help in deciding which of these 2 hotel should I book for 2 nights, Oct.29-30, 2012. We will be arriving by train at 8:45pm on the 29th and will be flying back to LA on the 31st at 6:05pm. This leave our family of 6 with 1 1/2 days of sightseeing.

We plan to visit the following: Pike Market, Space Needle, Chihuly museum (perhaps King Tut if time permits; as well as ride the ferry to Bremerton.

With our time limite, and consideration of mobility for my husband (knee/hip problem, can walk up to 1/2 a mile distance slow walk & stops to rest)...which do you think would be best to maximize the time we have to do things during our brief stay in Seattle. Price for both hotels are comparable, so that is not an issue.

If you have other hotel to suggest, that would be appreciated as well.. A BIG THANKS in advance.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

I prefer the Mayflower Park over the Sheraton mainly because the Sheraton is HUGE (1000+ rooms), and often houses large convention groups. The Mayflower Park is smaller, more personal, more about hospitality than just a place to stay. Both hotels are in good locations, and the retail core is relatively flat, though do expect some hills, and inclines. The waterfront sits well below the downtown core.

Take a look at this accessibility map. It shows major transportation options, elevators, stairs, as well s key tourist locations that will give you an idea how to get around.

…kingcounty.gov/maps/downtown-seattle-access…

Do you have 6 people in your party? (how many rooms?)

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

Dear Island Girl,

Thanks for your reply and comments. When my husband & I travel, I usually prefer small boutique hotels although have also enjoyed large chain ones like Sheraton (where I usually use my SPG points for booking). This time, I'm really choosing based on which one would be more convenient getting to from Amtrak station on Kingsley street, and close to light trail train to get to the airport.

I will study the link for the map you sent to get a better bearing of where things are. I could not locate Maypark Hotel and Sheraton on the map. I need to lokk more carefully.

We are booking 2 rooms with 3 adults in each room.

Best Regards

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

The Mayflower Park is one of our favorite hotels in Seattle. Great location and prices -- it's on the corner of 4th Avenue and Olive Way, right across the street from Macy's and Nordstrom also is nearby. The hotel is connected by inner walkway to Westlake Center, a 4-floor shopping mall and terminal for the monorail. The monorail will zip you to Seattle Center in about 2 minutes and let you off at the foot of the Space Needle and the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit.

The Sheraton is on 6th Avenue, about 3 to 4 blocks from Westlake Center.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

On the right-hand side of the TA page when you are searching for hotels is an expandable map, which will show you where hotels are located in relationship to key sites. It is a helpful tool.

The location for both hotels is good - the Amtrak station is on the other side of downtown, so you will have to grab a cab, hop the bus or light rail to get to either hotel. The Mayflower Park has an ideal location.

Because the Mayflower Park is an older, traditional hotel with just 160 rooms, you will find the room size smaller, however, the Mayflower has a few rooms with two bathrooms, which can be very nice and convenient for adults traveling together.

The Sheraton has more contemporary, typical rooms. I understand if you want to use points. Upper floor rooms will have views. The Sheraton has a newer renovated, very nice fitness facility and pool on the top floor, which is always a bonus to me. The Westin, another Starwood Hotel, also has a very good location. It is not as highly rated as many other properties in the area, but rooms have floor to ceiling windows, some with killer views. I would make sure to have a cover, newly renovated room. It's a large hotel, 891 rooms.

For boutique hotels, close to the Mayflower Park, the Hotel Andra is always a good choice. Important to choose suite rooms there, because regular room size is small. Not quite as convenient to light rail, but good, smaller hotel choices, I would also consider the Fairmont Olympic (luxury) and either the Monaco or the Alexis (both Kimpton hotels).

For a newer hotel, look at the Hyatt Olive 8, and it has a nice pool & fitness area.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,831 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

I also like the Mayflower Park. I would not base my choice on location, as they both meet your criteria.

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

Dear Islandgrl,

I did not get notified when you sent your reply to my question. I just now get the chance to read it. Thank you so much for your suggestions and comments. I'm having a hard time choosing which hotel to book for my family....location, convenience in getting to attractions (pike market, SPace Needle, Chihuly, ferry to Bainbridge) and budget.

I am now added Hyatt Place as I have enough points to book for equivalent to 3 nights. Any comments about this hotel!

Best Regards,

Lena

california
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

Dear glacier meadow, sorry for my late reply for I just now read yours.I do appreciate your comment. Have a nice day.

Lena

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,243 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

Mayflower Park is a lovely family-owned, historic hotel. It also has a slightly more central location. The Sheraton is just a regular chain hotel like you'd find anywhere.

suze

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

We have stayed at the Mayflower Park numerous times, and DH has stayed at the Sheraton once. The only negative he said about the Sheraton was that he did not like the pillows, lol. He never complains, so I was surprised when he said that. So just an FYI.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mayflower Park or Sheraton Seattle?

If you have mobility issues, the Mayflower Park no question. It is steps away from so many attractions including the Monorail which can zoom you to the Chihuly Museum, Space Needle etc....the hotel is literally on the first floor of the building that houses the monorail.