We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

Visiting seattle Nov.22-25, 2012, and was really hoping to shop on the thursday which is thanksgiving day. Im now finding out most malls, department stores and outlets are closed that day? This really throws a wrench in my plans. If anyone knows of any good places to shop that may possibly be open on the Thurs Nov 22 please let me know! thanks

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

There will be some places open in the morning, but not afternoon. They are all in there getting ready for Black Friday, the following day.

You will want to pick up a Thursday Nov 22 Seattle Times to plan your Black Friday shopping the next day. If there are stores you know you want to go to, go friend them on Facebook and follow them on twitter as you will get even bigger deals that way. You can unfriend/unfollow the day after, if you like!

Spend Thursday resting up and getting ready for the marathon the next day!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,874 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

Some places will open at 4 am, 2 am, or even midnight on Black Friday. I agree with ainwa; rest up on Thursday and begin shopping just as Thursday night becomes Friday morning.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

Laura S,

As you have figured out, nothing with be open on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the two holidays in the US where truly there is very little "open". Gas stations, a few grocery stores, and obviously hotels and some restaurants, but not much more. It's a time to celebrate with friends and family, feast, maybe watch parades & football

Black Friday, the shopping day after Thanksgiving, is the traditional kick-off of the Christmas shopping season, but in recent years the marketing has really ramped up. I read a recent article that the "deals" on Black Friday are not really that great - it is more hype, with a few loss leaders. But, there are some people I know who live for shopping that day (not me!).

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

Laura, I've shopped in downtown Seattle ON Thanksgiving day. The Banana/ Gap/ Old Navy chain was open. So was Urban Outfitters. There were other stores open but I can't remember which ones. Not many though, but it was enough to calm me down until Friday! If you go walking on Wednesday just ask around. Sorry, can't remember when you arrive?? I'm also planning on being there this year! Yay! Happy Shopping!!!!

Aloha~

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

It is supposed to be a good Black Friday year. The stores are going to be trying to get people in the stores as opposed to online shopping, so they say the deals are going to be good!

Seattle
Level Contributor
37 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

Usually the only things open in Seattle on this family-oriented holiday are the restaurants which offer Thanksgiving dinners, and some mini-marts and cinemas. There are a few businesses that will open at midnight on the 22nd, but few (if any) will be open on Thanksgiving day.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

A few museums and attractions will be open -- the space needle, the zoo, the aquarium, Olympic Sculpture Park (minus the Paccar pavilion), the Argosy harbor cruise and the Ballard locks (although I am not sure about the visitor center). As we get a little closer we will hear more about businesses that will be open ...

K

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

do a search on outlet malls...centralia, snoqualmie, tulalip...they may have thursday openings as well as early thursday nite openings that will bleed into

black friday,. also check the mall website sites since most will have black friday schedules that open at midnite thru the early morning hours...southcenter mall, northgate...

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

I have heard that Toys R Us is opening on Thanksgiving night. Those are located near the malls in the outlying areas.

10. Re: Thanksgiving Day Shopping!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2013, 10:15