We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

Watch out for this and other rental car companies. They do not tell you about 2 bridges ( one is the SR520) outside of the city that have tolls. You can not physically pay them when crossing, they bill the registration info, Payless sent me a "violation" ticket for crossing in one of their cars. The toll was only $4.11, the fine was $25.00.

You have to call and FIGHT these fines by calling these rental companies, something needs to be done about this.If you know you will be using these bridges, you can open a temp. account with the toll company-866-936-8246,they will hold your cc# just for the tolls, very fair.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

Car rental companies should spell out their toll policies in advance now that we have tolls. More and more tolls are on their way!

I think the original toll the rental agency is charging has been marked up, because the most expensive toll is under $4. It varies by time of day.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

ainwa and all,

I don't think the rental agency is marking the rate up. That toll rate for the 520 sounds right, as the toll varies by time of day, and pay by mail rate is higher. I just paid over $5, crossing one day during rush hour.

There are two bridges in the area that charge tolls - the Tacoma Narrows SR 16 and SR 520 bridge between Seattle and Bellevue. The tolls are automated, there are no booths or collection points.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,244 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

Here are the rates for the 520 bridge: wsdot.wa.gov/Tolling/TollRates.htm The highest price is Pay-By-Mail during morning (7-9) and afternoon (3-6) weekdays. It's $5.13.

westernskylover ~ opening a temporary account with the tolling company is an excellent idea, and it would be terrific if car rental companies had that information easily available to customers.

Here is the Good To Go! page about visitors & rental cars including setting up a short term account: wsdot.wa.gov/goodtogo/visitors

"Each rental car agency may have a different policy surrounding how they process tolls or pass them along to their customers, so be sure to check with your rental agency’s (sic) before incurring tolls."

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

>> The tolls are automated, there are no booths or collection points. <<

If I'm reading the info in PNWFamily's link correctly, WA state now has access to all license plates with the corresponding owner's addresses from all states in the USA? And maybe even Canada?

So if somebody from, say, Arizona is visiting in their own vehicle and crosses the SR 520 bridge, WA knows to send the bill to their home in AZ?

Or Toronto Canada ... or anywhere?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,244 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

"WSDOT has reciprocal agreements with other states to identify the owners of out-of-state vehicles and will send them toll bills." I assume that they have an agreement with Canada.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

Yes, that's correct. And you will get a bill in the mail about two weeks after you cross, which you then have about two weeks to pay. As a visitor you can set up a short term account, if you like, which does not require a deposit, and will save you about .50 for each crossing. One other thing to note is that should you cross one of our toll sites, and get a bill in the mail, the envelopes tend to look like junk mail. It has been a problem. I live here, knew about the issue, and almost threw mine out by mistake. Here is an image of the envelope.

www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/7366580098/

One other thing to note - if you are going from Seattle to the Eastside it is not necessary to use the toll bridge. You can easily go I-90 which is a free bridge. Again, tolling has been in place for quite a while, and I just used the toll bridge for the first time (to avoid killer traffic).

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

Toll roads and bridges eeeek and 4 and 5$ to cross in my opinion what a rip off, don't get me wrong I love Seattle and the surrounding areas but toll roads I really bulk at that. We had a bridge toll here for awhile just to pay off the cost of the bridge, it cost a whole quarter to cross and many people would go way around rather then pay.

Sorry off topic I guess it's just upsetting, isn't that what we pay taxes for, oh well can't fight it.

Collie

Edited: 08 December 2012, 00:49
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
106 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

Well it's not as if you're not warned ahead of time by signage.

There are large signs on I-5 that the 520 is a toll bridge and once on 520 when heading eastbound is another sign which tells you there is only one more exit until you are on a toll bridge.

They are quite large and lit at night.

seattle
Level Contributor
663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

Concerning the Tacoma Narrows Bridge: there are manual toll booths, as well as electronic pass-through lanes, going eastbound (no toll westbound). This is consistent with our most recent experience several days ago and the information on the WSDOT website,

…wa.gov/Tolling/…drivingthetollplaza.htm

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental cars in Seattle airport - Payless experience very bad

I looked at the Payless site. There is a popup for "location policies" but I didn't see information about the 520 bridge -- or tolls generally -- there. However in the box to make a reservation is a "Help?" link. I thought maybe this was a bit counterintuitive as a location for specific policies but nonetheless it launches a pop up that has a link to FAQs. This contains the following information on tolls.

Tolls

Toll charges are the responsibility of the renter. Where toll roads are no longer manned to accept cash as payment, U.S. Payless vehicles are equipped with the ability to pay for tolls electronically. Tolls incurred will be billed as a separate item on your credit card statement as "Rental Car Tolls". A third party subrogation company may be utilized to recover any fees associated with unpaid tolls. A service charge in addition to the cost of the violation may be assessed to defer the cost of collection. Please refer to the individual location policy to determine if specific toll payment instructions apply.

-K

Edited: 10 December 2012, 20:21