We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Seatac/flight Question please

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
More Seatac/flight Question please

I am narrowing down my flight choice to this from Paris to PDX on the return flight.

Depart

10:40 AM Paris , France

Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) |Terminal 2E|

Stop 1

12:25 PM Seattle, WA , United States

SeaTac Airport (SEA) |

Change of airlines. Time between flights: 1hr 35min

Delta Air Lines 614

Arrive

2:49 PM Portland, OR , United States

Portland International Airport (PDX) |

Flight 2181 Operated by HORIZON AIR AS ALASKA AIRLINES Alaska Airlines 2181

NOTE change of airline from Delta to Alaska and the layover time is only 1 hour 35 minutes. Is this enough time for me to find the right terminals from Delta overseas to Alaska domestic and do I pick up my luggage at the Seattle airport customs and re-check it in at the Alaska for my domestic flight back to Portland?

I am less worried about the return flight than the outbound flight.

Thank you.

Washington
Level Contributor
492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More Seatac/flight Question please

I would be a little worried about 1 1/2 hrs btw arriving from

Paris and going on to PDX. You have to go thru customs , then collect your bag and check it again thru to PDX. They will not check it clear thru from Paris.

I have waited a good 40 minutes for my bag to show up and sometimes I've cleared customs in 10 minutes and other times longer. Depends on how many overseas flights are arriving at the same time. I would want at least 2 hrs even tho you could practically drive to Portland by then!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More Seatac/flight Question please

Point very well taken. I found one that has a layover of 3 hours. That's even better. Thank you for the points.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
538 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More Seatac/flight Question please

I assume you're booking this all as one trip through Delta, they do code-share with Alaska on the domestic leg. Since they offer this routing as a viable option, I would go ahead and book it, knowing that if there is a delay, there are many more flights later the same day from SEA to PDX so you won't be stranded for a long time.

You will have to collect your luggage to go thru Customs, but I believe they will re-check it for you as you come out of Customs to get on the train to the other terminal (not sure as I've never done this myself, but I seem to remember seeing signs to that effect).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More Seatac/flight Question please

That's correct, after you collect your bags, you go through customs and then there is a staff member and a conveyor that you put your bags on and they check through.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More Seatac/flight Question please

Bottom line is, when I get to Seattle, I collect my luggage and go through customs, then re-check it again for my Seattle to Portland flight, correct? So there is no chance of me and my luggage getting separated. I would hate my luggage to get ahead of me to Portland and me missing the connecting flight, thereby allowing a thief in Portland to take my luggage (recent theft events at PDX shown in the news just last month, with arrests). I would be bringing home tons of souvenirs.

Sorry to be so pessimistic. I am a well-traveled person in the past, but just older and getting more weary as the years pass by.

Thank you for your patience with me. Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
538 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More Seatac/flight Question please

Correct, you have to claim your luggage to get thru Customs at Sea-Tac, so it will not be sent on ahead without you.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,797 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More Seatac/flight Question please

please don't worry about your connection. Since there is a plane every hr the Seattle to Pdx is the absolute least of your worries. Getting thru Charles Degalle airport I found to be one of the most difficult places to change planes. Seattle will seem easy in comparison.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
617 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More Seatac/flight Question please

UPDATE**** VERY VERY GOOD NEWS. I called Expedia's 800# (just like I did when I went to Israel last year after online frustrations), why didn't I think of that first?

Well, I got a young man (who sounded a little surly at first) but he turned out to be a Godsend, he found me UNPUBLISHED flights out of PDX, with 3-hour stopover in Seattle, both inbound and outbound. He had me on hold intermittently for about 15 minutes but kept on coming back in-between.

So my worries of short layover is over. The return flight has a 5-hour layover but soon as I get to Seattle, I will go to the counter and ask for an earlier flight back to PDX (just like I did last year at LAX), no problem, plenty of seats available. I am confident there will be seats as the Seatac to Portland is only 2.5 hours by car, most people will drive the distance.

Final thought -- if you are stuck finding stuff online, call their 800# and speak to a live agent, there is a good chance you will get an unpublished flight. This is my 2nd experience with finding good flight with stopvers that I like by calling the 800 at Expedia.

The only thing is that this flight is costing me $250 more than flights with 1-hour layovers. Is it worth it? Yes indeed, if only for some peace of mind.

THANK YOU TO ALL. Thank you.

9. Re: More Seatac/flight Question please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 06:18