We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels: location, location, location...

New york
Level Contributor
94 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels: location, location, location...

Have 4 nights in Seattle and want to stay at a more delux hotel in good area/location. Stayed at the Westin and Madision(now Renaissance) many years ago and don't remember the location very well. There are numerous negative comments on Westin; Grand Hyatt was numerous glowing reports, but looking at the rooms online-seem rather basic/stark. The Marriott Waterfront seems new and room/lobby have more character. Wondering whether it would be better to be more centrally located as the Hyatt/Westin are or better to stay at the waterfront area close to Pikes Market. We plan to visit Pikes Market, Seattle Center and shop. Visiting family in Bothell which will about 20-30 minutes away. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

Grand Hyatt rooms are very nice. Also suggest looking at the Inn at the Market, The W, Fairmont, or Hotel Monaco. Those are all upscale newer hotels. The downtown core is easier to get around than being isolated down near the water. Everything is very walkable. I've stayed at the Crown Plaza and the rooms are very nice.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

While I have never stayed there (since I live in Seattle) I work near the Marriott Waterfront. What the photos don't show I'm bet, is that the building is wedged in between the train tracks and a very busy street on the waterfront. Maybe not a deal-breaker but good to know ahead of time. That said, it has a very cool pool which is 1/2 in and 1/2 outdoors on a great patio, and this location would be very convenient to both the Market and Seattle Center.

Have you checked Inn at the Market? Or Alexis? I'd call both those deluxe w/character and good location.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

You should also check out the Fairmont Olympic which normally I don't even mention since it's out of the price range for most people. It used to be part of the Olympic Four Seasons chain and still retains high marks from guests. The Sorrento is another grand hotel in Seattle, but it's not as centrally located and parking is non-existent.

Have you thought about staying somewhere outside Seattle and commuting to the downtown area by bus?

New york
Level Contributor
94 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

Thanks for your responses. The Fairmont was a consideration. May not be that much more than the Hyatt. Seemed to be not as centrally located as the HYatt and Westin though? I'm not impressed with the rooms at the Hyatt. Again, still wondering which would be a better location-Waterfront or by the shopping? Does it not matter as you can walk to all within the downtown area? Has anyone stayed at any of the hotels I've mentioned. Would like to hear first hand experiences of their stay-room quality, location, service, etc. Is the waterfront a safe are to walk around after dark? I was in Seattle over 15 years ago and don't remember the areas that well. Again appreciate responses so far and welcome any additional ones.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

I've visited people at the Grand Hyatt. The public areas are sort of dark and 'stark' but that is the same with the W and other newer hotels. The rooms were quite nice. The bath is marble with a tub and seperate shower. Right in the heart of everything. Walk out your door and everythings right there. Not sure why the rooms didn't impress you. If you stay at the waterfront practically nothing in downtown will be easily walkable. The area is safe but you will have to cross Western and 1st ave, both of which has their share of homeless and panhandlers. Safe but not the nicest.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,036 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

We used to live in the Seattle area (near Bothell actually) and stayed at the Westin for large group functions. The rooms were very nice, and they have done an extensive remodel on the rooms in the last year or so. We were always very pleased with the rooms, the staff, and of course the location is great. Right by the shopping areas and a very short walk down to Pike Place Market. I would recommend that if you go with the Westin, to ask for a high floor and with a view.

We go back regularly to see family and friends, and this last time we stayed at the Alexis, just to try it out. Loved it! Very nice room, extremely helpful staff (we had a medical issue and they were fantastic), great restaurant onsite for breakfast and a nice bar that was not loud at all. The hotel is an easy walk to Pike Place market as well as the shopping areas such as Nordstrom, etc. The hotel has a nice afternoon wine tasting each day, and they set out blank postcards and watercolors. The guests all mingled and it was fun to see what people were creating.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
177 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

Mandirae said:

"Thanks for your responses. The Fairmont was a consideration. May not be that much more than the Hyatt. Seemed to be not as centrally located as the HYatt and Westin though?"

Actually it depends on what you're going to be doing more while staying here. The Fairmont is closer to the main shopping areas, Pioneer Square, the ferry terminal, Chinatown and the International District, and the main bus tranfer points. The Westin is closer to Seattle Center, Belltown, and Lake Union. They're both about the same distance to Pike Place Market as the actual market itself stretches for several blocks along First Avenue. The same can be said for the waterfront area.

"Again, still wondering which would be a better location-Waterfront or by the shopping? Does it not matter as you can walk to all within the downtown area?"

Personally between the two I'd shy away from staying on the waterfront as your transportation choices become more limited. Downtown has nearly every bus line converging in a seven block area while the waterfront only has a few buses.

"Is the waterfront a safe are to walk around after dark?"

Sure, with a caveat. Most areas of Seattle are relatively safe when you consider it's an urban area. The only trouble with the waterfront is everything closes down earlier than elsewhere for some reason. When everything closes down people just stop walking along the area which can definitely make you FEEL less safe. The Financial District (the mayor's office is trying to get us all to brand it something else) also has the problem of becoming somemthing of a ghost town after dark but Pioneer Square and the Pike/Pine corridor more than make up for that.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

I don't really consider the waterfront convenient "walking distance" to the things you'd want to do downtown. Especially at night you'd pass thru some pretty deserted areas. I would be much more comfortable (if I were on foot) to be more in the middle of things, with more people out and around. Also there are many homeless folks, in the area you'd pass thru between downtown and the waterfront... while I do not consider dangerous, it might be disconcerting if you are not used to urban-life.

New york
Level Contributor
94 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

Thanks for the additional responses and information. Very helpful! Althought it might be nice to be by the waterfront, it seems that we might be better off being centrally located. Since we are now bringing our 13y/o Dtr, want to do more of the touristy stuff. She is a shop-a -holic and will most likely want to get in some shopping at the malls. With that said the Grand Hyatt, which has received more consistently good reviews will cost significantly more than the Westin. Concerned about the negative reviews of the Westin. The rooms in comparision don't seem that different, except for the Hyatt's nice oversized bathroom. I belong to both Starwood and Hyatt Passport so will earn points either way. Due to the small rooms at Hyatt a king bedded room will not accommodate a rollaway, so we have to upgrade to a Corner Suite. The Westin can accommodate us in a king room with a pull out sofa. Prefer to stay at one of the chains for the other benefits, but would stay at another location if overall better choice. Checked out The Sorrento which seems very nice, but not centrally located. We will be visiting family (Bothell) so we will have couple of days to tour on our own, then meet up later. For those who know of the Westin and Grand Hyatt-which would you choose if cost was not a factor? Wish there were more recent posts on the hotels. For us a nice room is as important as the vacation. Not easy ruling-out the Marriott Waterfront though since I was using my points(free) and they were going to upgrade us to the concierge floor. BooHoo...

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,712 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels: location, location, location...

Hyatt, no contest.