We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

Hi all there. I'm from Europe. I'm planning a roadtrip around Seattle and Portland middle of May until end of may.

Is it a good time for "non-rainy-days" ? Or should i come Juli-August ? I am waterproofed, but if its raining 2 weeks, that would be bad.....

thank you

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

Rain in Seattle is more of a drizzle than a downpour. Seattle does not actually get all that much rain; Chicago gets more, for example. Seattle does have many cloudy days, but May often has sunshine. You would have to be very unlucky to experience two weeks of rain in May.

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

hi there. so you wont say; come july/august, its better then may/juny ?

thank you for your answer.....appreciate that..

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

July/August is MUCH better for sunny, non-rain days. I love our Seattle summer, and never want to leave. May can be unpredictable. The first year I lived in Seattle it rained 30/31 days in May. Other Mays can be lovely!

Here is a fun chart - Odds that it will rain on any given day, with data from the last 119 years. As you can see, May averages in the 50% range, July and August 10-20% range. Though take a look at July 4 (!) We often say that summer in Seattle starts after the 4th of July.

www.komonews.com/weather/faq/4308877.html

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

Our summer in the Pacific Northwest really doesn't start until close to mid-July. August and September can almost be guaranteed to be rain-free 29 days out of 30. As previously noted, that time of year it will be a mild drizzle at worst.

May (actually all spring) can be quite iffy -- Daytime temps could be 50 or it could be 100 (Farenheit). In our 36-plus years in Oregon, we've seen both extremes in several years.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
538 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

If you want warm, sunny weather, definitely July-August would be better. The best weather here is from mid-July to mid-September. May will be much more unpredictable, you might get some lovely spring days but you also could get a lot of gray skies and rain.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

Just be aware that July and August are the height of the tourist season. Everything will be more crowded and more expensive. If you are planning on staying in popular places like the Oregon coast, you will find lodgings more expensive and more likely to book up far in advance.

Port Orchard, WA
Level Contributor
7 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

Like has already been noted, if you are coming for warm, then wait for summer. But I am a BIG fan of May because a lot of the natural spring flora is still flowering. A drive through Point Defiance park never fails to delight us with TONS of delightfully colored giant rhododendrons in bloom.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
940 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

As in Europe, summer has more sun and warmth than spring. :)

Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

hell, thank you all....... :)

this will help me alot to plan my next visit in your country....

2012 i went from san francisco to the north. in may :-) california was perfect weather (its california chrchr) but then in Coos Bay it was rain. 1 week, so i turned after 1 day in coos bay and went back until the sun comes back, in california. so, i think, this year i will try it in jun.....because of the prices etc.....

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,228 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ask all Seattlers - Is May a good trip day for sunshine ?

June is the worst for cloudy days. The west coast gets what is called the "June Gloom"--it's one of the cloudiest months of the year. September is much better than June, if you are trying to avoid the high season.