We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting a friend in Seattle in July

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
visiting a friend in Seattle in July

I am visiting a dear friend this July from the 19th to the 27th. I have seen the sights before. Now i am hoping to travel outside of Seattle. I like hiking and mountains. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting a friend in Seattle in July

An easy and scenic drive is north on I-5, then E. on SR-2 over the Cascade Mountain pass, Stevens Pass. Lots of pretty stops., waterfalls, etc. There is a ski area at the summit of the pass which has several trailheads. Further on down the other side, Lake Wenatchee State Park is in a lovely fjord-like setting and has a pleasant beach, too. There are hiking trails there and you can get more info at the ranger station there. Then you could go on on SR-2 to Leavenworth through the steep and twisty Icicle Canyon. Leavenworth is a bit touristy (actually, a lot) in a Bavarian theme, but has many restaurants and beer gardens in all price ranges.

This is but one suggestion--I'm sure you will discover many more.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
338 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting a friend in Seattle in July

Are you talking about day trips, overnight or a couple days?

There ar many opportunities for hiking in the north cascade and olympics. I'd recommend getting a copy of one of the "100 Best Hikes" series put out by the Seattle Mountaineers. The latest one is: 100 Classic Hikes in Washington: North Cascades, Olympics, Mount Rainer & South Cascades, Alpine Lakes, Glacier Peak (100 Best Hikes). It's available from amazon and oher places.

If you're doing more than a day trip, there are a number of loops you can do through the mountains. Highway 20 (north cascades highway) across and return one Highway 2 through Leavenworth. A shorter loop would be down to Mt Rainier (one 167) through the park and return on highway 410 (I think). Or drop down to St Helens, do that park one day, do Rainier the next day and come back on 410.

You can also do Mt. St Helens or Rainier as day trips (St Helens will be a long day).

Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP is another possible side trip (but this would be another long day as it involves a ferry ride each way (or driving down through Tacoma). Hurricane Ridge can be spectacular though.

Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting a friend in Seattle in July

Lots of options for you. In addition to the well known spots in Olympic, Rainer and St. Helens, if you want some terrific day hikes close to Seattle, consider an area we fondly call the "Issaquah Alps".

Go to Washington Trails Association on the web. You can search for trails by distance, level of difficulty, and area.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: visiting a friend in Seattle in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 20:20