We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good eats in Seattle!

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Good eats in Seattle!

Would like some suggestions for good eats in Pike Place and also near our hotel The Maxwell Hotel. I believe it's around Queen Ann/Seattle Center area. We will be traveling with a 14 year old. We all love just about anything. Just would like some local picks! Thanks!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

The food court at The Armory (formerly known as Center House) has lots of great options. Nearby, my kids like Dicks Hamburgers, the Mecca Cafe (goes 21+ on weekend nights), and Genki Sushi in the QFC building. McMenamins right next to the hotel passes the test.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
538 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

Near your hotel, if you want something a bit nicer, I like 10 Mercer. Toulouse Petit and Peso's are also very popular. One I would skip is TS McHugh's -not terrible, but very tired and mediocre.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

Thank you for your suggestions!

Singapore
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

Hey you can try the pink door, beeches cheese, Lowell's etc.

you can go see my blog for suggestions and photos.

baconandjackrussells.com/2013/…

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

Michloh, you are flogging your blog an awful lot lately. Trying to boost page views?

It looks like you had a nice trip awhile back.

Singapore
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

Haha no, just think its useful to look at pictures as well as they helps tourists like myself a lot. I don't make money from my blog so whether I have 100 or 1000 doesn't matter.

Just happy to share my trips with others. Might as well

Since I have documented it down for real. Took me a while to get around to finally collate all the photos and thoughts on the trip.

Yes I love Seattle. And I love how frank Americans are. :)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

I don't mean to be fresh. I looked at and liked your blog. I've just seen a lot of self promotion on the forums so I thought I'd ask.

Good job getting your blog put together! I never get around to doing it. Come back again sometime--

Singapore
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

I am glad you liked it! I have added more travel based posts so hopefully will be helpful to others travelling as much - otherwise it is useless just sitting in my memory. :)

Yes we will return to Seattle again!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

The places that are kind of consensus favorites in Lower Queen Anne (the area where you are staying) are Tolouse Petit (which is cajun/French focused), Crow (modern American), and Peso's (Mexican).

Down on the Western corner of lower Queen Anne (really the intersection of lower Queen Anne, Belltown and Interbay) is Renee Erickson's Boat Street. Erickson is one of the city's best loved and most acclaimed chefs. Her Walrus and the Carpenter (Ballard) and Whale Wins (Fremont) are both really hot right now and get most of the national press but Boat Street is beautiful French inspired Pacific NW cuisine.

At Seattle Center, Collections Cafe (co-located with Chihuly Garden and Glass but with its own separate entrance) has a very nice modern American menu.

Just south of Seattle Center on the other side of Denny (technically the Belltown neighborhood) is Tillikum Place. Tillikum was, I think an insider pick for some time. I had never heard of it until another poster here mentioned it. It has gotten a lot of more attention recently and Eater Seattle has included it on their 38 Essential Seattle restaurants list. Here is what they say: "This largely underrated restaurant next to the 5 Point looks like something straight out of NYC, with lofty ceilings, exposed brick and large windows that create a bright and airy space perfect for some of the most satisfying seasonal dishes that comfortingly reflect the best Northwest ingredients."

On on top of Queen Anne hill (upper Queen Anne) there are also some very popular and critically loved restaurants.

We have a widely acclaimed regional Mexican restaurant, La Carta de Oaxaca, in Ballard. On upper Queen Ann is their second restaurant, Mezcaleria de Oaxaca.

There is Lloyd Martin. Sam Crannell, who previously worked at the excellent Quinn's (a gastropub in the Capitol Hill neighborhood) has gotten a lot of praise since opening LM. They are listed on the Eater Seattle Essential 38 Seattle Restaurants. This is what they say: "Chef Sam Crannell is burnishing the genre of a neighborhood restaurant with creative, thoughtful fare atop Queen Anne hill. The heavily praised game dishes here are made with some of the freshest ingredients in town. The elk pappardelle is a must-have if it's on the menu, as is just about everything else."

One of Seattle's top chefs and restaurateurs, Ethan Stowell, also has a restaurant on upper Queen Anne, How to Cook a Wolf (inspired by the MFK Fisher book by the same title) which is listed on the Eater Essential 38.

Seattle also, suprisingly, has a dense concentration of VPN (Vera Pizza Napoletana) certified neapolitan pizza places. I think that trend may have been directly attributable to Dino Santonicola, a former partner and pizzaola at Via Tribunali. He is now in Dallas at the acclaimed Cane Rosso but Via Tribunali remains one of my favorites pizzas around town. It is characterized by a thin center, nicely charred and chewy crust and a limited number of topping combinations (VPN certifies places that meet traditional standards for pizza making in Naples so the flour, ingredients, etc. all have to meet their standards). There are more trendy places to get pizza around town (like the excellent Delancy in Ballard owned by Orangette blogger Molly Wisenberg and husband Brandon Pettit) and Jerry Corso's Bar de Corso on Beacon Hill but I love the VPN certified places. My favorite right now is actually Cornuto on Phinney Ridge but that is closer to the Zoo and not particularly close to you. The Via T on upper Queen Anne has a great atmosphere -- a real neighborhood spot. When Dino helped open the Upper Queen Anne Via T we went there about once a week for a year.

By the way if you are looking for coffee shops there are notable indie places all over town (I would skip Starbucks unless you go to the original location in Pike Place Market) including several good ones on lower Queen Anne. Cafe Ladro, Caffe Zingaro, Caffe Vita, and Uptown Espresso are all good local indies reasonably near where you are staying.

If you are interested in bakeries/patisseries, I was just up on the top of Queen Anne the other day and went again to La Reve. Really enjoyable bakery/patisserie. One thing they are known for is the Breton kouign amann (queen-a-mahn) which is like very buttery slightly sweet bread in the middle, with a salty caramel exterior. The La Reve version has a crisp and flaky top. I also had a bacon and onion croissant which was amazing. If you go they will ask you if you want the croissant heated. Take them up on that. The patisserie is in an old house with a front porch and set back front patio looking at a church yard across the street. I am very picky about pastry but from my experiences there I think they can stand with the best in town. We have some world class patisseries in Seattle with both Cafe Besalu in Ballard and Bakery Nouveau in West Seattle would put them up with t Definitely up there with the best in town like Cafe Besalu in Ballard and Bakery Nouveau in West Seattle. That is a bit of a hike uphill from where you are but you could take a quick bus up there or a cab. If you get up the hill make sure on the way up or down you stop at Kerry Park. The city overlook there is kind of an iconic view with the Space Needle in the foreground and the city (and hopefully Mt. Rainier if the "mountain is out" ) in the background -- the "Frasier" view.

Just on the West end of Lower Queen Anne is also a great Danish bakery, Nielsen's. Seattle has a strong Scandinavian heritage and I think Nielsen's is stronger overall than Larsen's in Ballard. I like some of the traditional dessert pastries like the "potato" (A custard and whipped cream filled pastry with marzipan dusted with cocoa powder) and some of the Danish and other pastries like the snitter -- essentially like a flattened cinnamon role with custard on the top -- or the kringle -- the pretzel shaped patry filled with almond filling, custard and raisins and topped with sliced almonds.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,744 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good eats in Seattle!

My favorite restaurants in and around the Pike Place Market are: Emmett Watson Oyster Bar (it's an old-timey place with great fish & chips type baskets), take-out from The Mexican Market (next to the original Starbucks). The counter at Jacks Fish spot for chowder, shrimp cocktail, etc. The Market Grill counter for grilled fish sandwiches, Pike Place Chowder (for a dozen kinds of soup), Athenian or Lowells (classic diners with water views).

Then on 1st Avenue Virginia Inn, Le Pichet, and Bacco.

suze