We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

Hi. We are looking to stary 5 days in Seattle, early June. My husband and I are taking our 19 year old son and 22 year old daughter with us. We want to stay in an area that our young adult kids can happily explore on their own together, as well as a place that we all will enjoy. We plan to use public transportation or walk most of the time. A dynamic, youngish, interesting neighborhood would be our choice for home base. Suggestions?

Also interested in itinerary suggestions. We like music, art, pop culture, nature and outdoor activities. Enjoy dining out, but more interested in interesting experiences than super expensive meals.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

Capitol Hill is a lot of fun, especially in the Pike/Pine area. There aren't a lot of hotels up there, though. Maybe the Homewood Suites near the convention center.

There are a lot of bars, which of course the 19-yo can't go to. But there's also the Northwest film forum, lots of cool stores, often festivals and activities, restaurants, and other street life.

Other options would be downtown itself, Seattle Center, the University District or Fremont. My kids like all of these but have the most fun in Capitol Hill.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,428 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

for sure consider staying right downtown. Everything is there, shopping, a huge Gameworks store, the market, the monorail and many other things. Younger people may like the music scene around Pike Place and the Belltown area. Look at Homewood Suites on Pike Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt Olive 8 or Grand Hyatt, Westin, etc.

This way your in the heart of everything. Downtown is very safe and alive with people at all hrs.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

I definitely think the Silver Cloud Broadway would fit the bill. You are walking distance or zippy bus ride to downtown, but in a vibrant, eclectic neighborhood filled with shops, restaurants, bookstores, movie theaters and thrift shops....Capital Hill is tons of fun. Plus the buses on Broadway (especially the 7 and 9) have great connections to the University District where there is more of the same. The Silver Cloud chain gets high marks....I have stayed at their University branch several times....and best of all the hotel has an indoor pool which is relatively rare in Seattle.

http://www.silvercloud.com/seattlebroadway/

albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

Thanks a lot!

albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

Great ideas. Thanks!

albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

Thanks! Sorry about my bad typing!

albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

I apologize for my bad spelling. How do I correct it?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

There's a 5 minute window to edit a post before it's locked. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :o)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,428 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

While I do think Broadway would work it would still be my 2nd choice to staying downtown where there is a bit of everything. Since Capitol Hill is one neighborhood away from downtown its easy enough to walk there or catch a bus.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattel: Where to Stay with 19 and 22 year old Kids

I agree with davidgmg. My young adult kids would much prefer to stay in the downtown core, than at the Silver Cloud on Broadway. The Silver Cloud is a nice chain, and the Broadway location is near Seattle U, and the Broadway area of Capitol Hill, but you will find yourself taking a bus to most activities. You can easily access the Capitol Hill area from other downtown hotels. And Seattle is quite safe, access is good on the bus, which your young adults can easily do.

For me, when traveling with our older kids, I also try to find more spacious accommodations - ie; suite hotels. Homewood on Pike is close (just west of) Capitol Hill and right downtown. Or look at vacation rentals - Sea to Sky rentals has good options, at for say the Elektra.

http://www.seatoskyrentals.com/