We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need deciding - Vancouver or Seattle? So many choices!

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
st. louis
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need deciding - Vancouver or Seattle? So many choices!

I've been reading the forums and all the great information has made me rethink our trip. Originally we were going to fly into Seattle, then go to Vancouver, Victoria and back to Seattle. But since we will only be there July 14 - July 20th, I need to rethink the trip and would love some help. It will be 4 of us - my husband and I and two boys - 20 and 18. The two choices I have come up with are:

Flying to Seattle, staying there for 3 or 4 nights and then renting a car and going to San Juan islands for a couple nights.

Or fly directly to Vancouver, stay there 3 or 4 nights, rent a car and go to Whistler for a couple nights.

We all love museums, sight-seeing, going to great restaurants and hiking. The 18 year old would love to go fishing and my husband and both boys want to go ziplining in Whistler. I need to make the decision and get everything booked - just overwhelmed and keep dragging my feet!! Would prefer suite hotels where the boys will each have their own beds and we'll have a separate space instead of having to rent two rooms. Thanks in advance for any input and I'm posting this on the Vancouver forum too.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need deciding - Vancouver or Seattle? So many choices!

Oh I'd pick Whistler. I think you'll find your choices for accommodation will be greater and more affordable (really designed for massive influxes during ski season, so there are lots of condos and multi-bedroom places.) In Seattle the cruise people really cause a spike in accommodation prices, and there are relatively few hotels with multiple bedrooms, so you'd need to rent two rooms.

You might want to google "Sunshine coast" (the Canadian one, not the Australian one) - might be of interest for a day trip.

In terms of scenery and activities, you can't go wrong either way.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need deciding - Vancouver or Seattle? So many choices!

This is really just personal preference. Either a Van/Whistler or a Seattle/SJIs trip will be a good one. One you will have to wait in border lines, the other, ferry lines. Maybe it comes down to, do you want islands or mountains?

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need deciding - Vancouver or Seattle? So many choices!

Vancouver is a neat place to visit, but personally I think Seattle is much more scenic and has better museums. Stanley park is nice. Usually border crossing takes us about an hour each way.

Whistler is fun, and the sea to sky highway is really amazing to drive. Not alot of museums there though.

San Juans is nice, however don't under estimate how much time it will take you waiting in lines for the ferry. (possibly 3 hours on each end).

I like Embassy Suites or Homewood suites for traveling with my 3 kids. 2 rooms, 2 beds, a couch, separate eating area, kitchen and best of off, breakfast incl so that saves us some money and time in the morning.

Seattle of course has tons of museums, and places to hike (urban and in forests).

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need deciding - Vancouver or Seattle? So many choices!

Completely disagree about Seattle being more scenic than here, Van has the most spectacular setting of any city on the continent , Seattle has better beer and bar culture though (no happy hour here )

Edited: 29 April 2013, 21:44
5. Re: Need deciding - Vancouver or Seattle? So many choices!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 05:16