We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would you do?

Chicago
Level Contributor
128 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What would you do?

In August we will be arriving at Pier 91 around 7am and will be picking up a friend and car at the airport around 11am. I would like to see some of Seattle but don't know how to handle this. We can store our luggage at the pier. Would you suggest a taxi into town? How would you spend your time being a first time visitor to Seattle?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What would you do?

Hi. It is not clear how much time you have in Seattle after your airport. You can take light rail (runs every 10 minutes and costs $2.75) from the airport to downtown - just a 35 minute ride. I would definitely walk around Pike Place Market. This is quintessential Seattle. If you have more time, you can take the monorail to Seattle City Center and visit the Space Needle . . . Or for something different but more "Seattle-ish" you could walk down to Pioneer Square and do an "Underground Tour" where you literally go under Seattle and explore a time when Seattle was one city block lower than it is today.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,171 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would you do?

you have a few options. You could do a post cruise and tour which would pick you up with luggage, show you the city then drop you at Seatac. If you want your friends with you then get yourself to the airport. you can store your bags down in baggage claim at Kens Baggage. you could easily arrange a city tour starting at an airport hotel. just take a shuttle from Seatac. Either of these options you could do with toursnorthwest.com or some other local tour operators.

Chicago
Level Contributor
128 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would you do?

Thanks for the suggestions. My real issue is the time between leaving the ship(7a.m.) and picking up the friend and rental car at 11a.m. I was hoping to avoid a tour and do this on my own for the 4 hours in the morning. I was thinking about taking a taxi from pier 91 downtown and then renting bicycles, or If we chose to just walk around Seattle where should we have the taxi drop us off? Once we get the car we will do more sightseeing in the afternoon. Thanks again.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What would you do?

Space Needle at "Seattle City Center?" Very misleading. "Seattle Center" is more accurate.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What would you do?

I would get off the ship, take a taxi to the Pike Place Market (it's perfect early in the morning). From the market I would walk to Westlake Center and take the Light Rail to the airport to get your rental car. It's about a 40 minute ride to the airport. You don't exactly have 4 hours to tour - with transportation, connections and walking, closer to 2.3/3 hours.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,171 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What would you do?

most likely you won't be off at 7 am more like 8:30 or 9am. Why not just rent the car from downtown? They let you drop at Seatac. Hertz has an office downtown and National and Alamo have a kiosk at the port.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would you do?

Agree with davidgmg. Car rentals are significantly cheaper downtown. You could then pick up your friend at the airport, if you like. Or conversely, pick up the car when you need it (you don't need it staying downtown) and let your friend take the Light Rail to downtown. That scenario will save you quite a few $.

Chicago
Level Contributor
128 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What would you do?

Okay, this is what I've come up with. Tell me if it sounds doable.

8 a.m. (Sat. in Aug.) Disembark cruise ship and leave luggage with concierge at Pier 91

Taxi into town

Pike Place 9-10:30

Light rail to airport to pick up friend on 11:00 flight

Taxi to Burien to pick up rental car ( best 1 week rate we could find near airport)

Drive rental to Seattle Center for a couple of hours (lunch here)

Pick up luggage at Pier 91 and drive on to Whidbey Island where we are spending the week

What would you do differently, or add. Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,604 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What would you do?

I think it's a little convoluted, but guess it would work.

I would have suggested you just a car in downtown Seattle and be on your way (skipping the Light Rail ride and taxi SeaTac to Burien)

suze

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What would you do?

I agree with everyone else--rent a car downtown. Light rail to the airport then taxiing to a rental car in Burien, then going back to pick up your luggage sounds like a huge, unnecessary hassle. Not only that, you'll end up spending 2-3 hours on this chore, rather than sighteseeing, and it doesn't sound like you have that time to spare. And unless your friend is quite elderly or disabled, I'd suggest having them use light rail into town and meet you.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 17:01