We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
265 reviews
Save Topic
I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

we have tickets on june 9th to see the yankees game but now with the collapse of I5 bridge in mount vernon, can anyone help me by giving me instructions how to get to seattle from vancouver bc? i am afraid a normally 2.5 hour trip may now end up to be a 6 hr trip?

any advice on the routing from vancouver, bc to seattle?

many thanks in advance

Taichung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

That's also a question I had in mind. I'll be traveling to Seattle from Vancouver on July 1. Should I go for the Amtrak train instead of the minivan I had already hired?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

Yes, check the WSDOT website. Current infor and detour information will be posted. Here is the link.

…wa.gov/construction/pugetsound/today.htm

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

A quick look at a map would help. There is a bridge about 300 feet east of the one that collapsed, there is highway 9, there is highway 11, there is highway 20....no six hour drive involved.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

From the WSDOT web site here's a map showing 1 alternate Southbound route & 2 alternate Northbound routes: …wa.gov/Construction/PugetSound/detourmap.htm

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

thanks so so much everyone for the invaluable information!

cliu ; )

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,027 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

It is reasonable to anticipate that there will be delays through that stretch as you follow what I would expect is a well marked detour, so you do need to allow some time for that, but traffic is still moving. I read this morning they are looking for a suitable Bailey Bridge to tie them over. (We had one of those "temporary" bridges in Port Coquitlam...for 20 years!)

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

This was the headline story on today's San Juan Islander news website "Despite the collapse of the Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River between Burlington and Mount Vernon (exits 229-227), Town of Friday Harbor Administrator Duncan Wilson wants people to know the town and the San Juan Islands are open for business and alternative travel routes are available. Visitors should plan for delays. The best routes to the ferry terminal in Anacortes are shown on the two maps posted below.

PDF MAP Traveling SOUTH-BOUND sanjuanislander.com/images/…south-bound.pdf

PDF MAP Traveling NORTH-BOUND sanjuanislander.com/images/…north-bound.pdf

Washington State Dept. of Transportation (WSDOT) recommends keeping up with the latest info on Twitter:

#I5Bridgecollapse https://twitter.com/search…

#skagitriverbridge https://twitter.com/search… "

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

thanks so much for the update...just wondering if you know which route would be faster?

1. I5 from vancouver bc until exit 230 (SR20) then SR534 OR

2. SR9

any advice would be very much appreciated....many thanks

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

People on both sides of the border are adjusting to the new reality. No one can advise you on which route would be faster because the state highway department is adjusting detours as they gain experience.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,027 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon

All reports today indicate that delays are minimal. Perhaps because people are avoiding traveling through that area, but it sounds like its a minor delay, no more.