We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

Orange County...
Level Contributor
531 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

2 adults, 2 kids (10 & 11) coming to Seattle in July for 3 nights before heading to Canada (Vancouver & Whistler). This is our plan. Just want to make sure that it's doable. We will not have a car. Would you do anything different? Suggestions welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Day 1 - Flight arrives around 1pm

Transfer to hotel (Four Seasons Seattle) - use STILA at the airport

Walk to Pike Place Market for lunch after check in - eat our way around the market

Kids want to swim at the hotel

Great Wheel in the evening

Dinner at Steelhead Diner

Day 2 - Breakfast at hotel - included in our package each morning

Monorail to Seattle Center

Chihuly Garden & Glass early

Lunch at Sky City in the Space Needle

Pacific Science Center after lunch

Dinner Ivar's Acres of Clams

Check out Ye Olde Curiosity Shop after dinner

Day 3 - Breakfast at hotel

Take bus to Museum of Flight

Late lunch at Elliott's Oyster House

Walk to Seattle Aquarium after lunch

Dinner Serious Pie

Day 4 - Early breakfast at hotel

Taxi to King Street Station

7:40am Amtrak Cascades to Vancouver - how early should we be at the station? 1hr before?

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

I think it sounds like a very fine plan!! One little thing, know that from your hotel to where you catch the monorail is a bit of a walk across town (maybe 8 blocks or so). 1 hour is plenty to arrive in advance at the train station. -suze

Edited: 05 June 2013, 17:16
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,305 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

I like your plan as well. My concern is you seem like a higher end person and a foodie so I'd swithch Ivars Acres of clams for the Ivar Salmon House on Lk Union. Itr woul be a cab ride but food would be better. Ivars tends to be pretty casual especially if you compare it to Elliotts. There are other waterfront restaraunts you'd prpbably like more.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,845 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

I had the same reaction as Davidgmg. If you are a serious diner, you should tweak your choice of restaurants. However, if this is not a priority, and with children in your party it might not be, you have an excellent plan.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

The Four Seasons is wonderful. You & the kids will love it. Where are you staying in Whistler?

Most of your restaurants/activity are near the waterfront. As davidgmg indicated, I too, much prefer Ivar's Salmon House on Lake Union. I like Ivar's walk-up fish bar on the waterfront, or for happy hour, but overall the Salmon House has more to offer. I generally prefer Ivar's for lunch, rather than dinner. Instead of Elliott's or Ivars on the waterfront, you could also take the passenger water taxi over to Alki Beach, and eat at Salty's or one of the many other restaurants. On the waterfront, I am also fond of the Anthony's restaurants - either Anthony's or the more casual Bell Street Diner.

My only other comment would be is that with your kid's ages, I usually recommend some active/outdoors things, particularly in July when the weather is so nice. I don't know if you are boat or water people, but for example, you may want to consider the Center for Wooden Boats on Lake Union (it's a gem), kayaking on Lake Union, a Sailing cruise on Puget sound, the Electric Boat company on Lake Union, the Ride the Ducks Tour, etc. We even have a Hot Tub Boat rental company! http://hottubboats.com. Or you can rent bikes/roller blades, SUPs, etc over at Alki Beach.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

Serious pie, very over-rated and pretty expensive for what you get imo

Orange County...
Level Contributor
531 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

Thank you all for the great information! I will check out Salty's and Ivar's Salmon House. I had picked Ivar's because it was a quick walk from our hotel - we thought about doing happy hour :)

We are staying at the Four Seasons in Whistler and Vancouver also - it's my husband's birthday so it's a special trip. This year has been about going places we've never been and doing things we've never done. It all started with an episode of Top Chef Seattle and it turned in to a 10 day trip!

We will be river rafting, zip lining, and attending an outdoor concert one evening at the Olympic Park in Whistler. In Vancouver we are going to visit Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain and Lynn Canyon Park. The kids will get plenty of outdoor time/activities in before the end of this trip! Not a lot of outdoor stuff for us in Seattle but we make up for it in Whistler and Vancouver!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

I love your plan, I think you'll have a great time. A few suggestions (just for consideration):

1. I'd do the wheel after dinner, to coincide with sunset (about 9pm in July) since the view at sunset from the waterfront is exceptional (the wheel is open to midnight on Fri/Sat; Steelhead diner closes at 10pm). But if you've just eaten your way through the market in the afternoon, you might want just a light snack before the wheel.

2. I wonder if Pacific Science Center is a good use of time? It is fun (for younger kids certainly) but nothing particularly unique and it is a little worn in places. The ducks might be more fun and you'll 'learn' (in a fun, some might say over-the-top, way) more about Seattle, and get to be outside and on the water.

3. For food, have you considered some Tim Douglas locations? My favorite in Dahlia Lounge (an short walk from your hotel) which specializes in seafood. In three days you can barely scratch the surface of quality food places in Seattle!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
531 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

The wheel time is all going to depend on how tired we all are at the end of the day. I would love to see the view at sunset!

I've already considered that we may not feel like having dinner after eating our way around the market! Our back-up plan is to let the kids swim as long as they want, skip dinner and just go to Gelatiamo for dessert :) Any other suggestions for a great place for dessert?

I'm wavering on the Pacific Science Center. We did the Exploratorium in San Francisco and didn't really enjoy it that much. It's a little run down because it's moving to a new location near the Ferry Building. I've heard that the Pacific Science Center is not as good as the Exploratorium so it makes me wonder if it's worth it. I had scratched it off our to do list but then figured we were already going to be right there for Chihuly and the Space Needle so why not?

I'll have to check out the ducks. Any other suggestions if we cut the Pacific Science Center off the list?

I think Serious Pie is a Tom Douglas restaurant. We've got a lot of seafood planned for this trip so I threw in some good pizza to break it up!

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

I agree with amoose99. The Pacific Science Center a couple cool exhibits, but it is pretty tired, and it is nothing you haven't seen before. The aquarium too, is ok, just not great. It depends on where you have traveled and what your kids experiences are. I would probably pick the aquarium over the PSC, of the two. But, IMO, it is not a loss if you skip both - there are so many other uniquely Seattle things. Personally, if you want a "museum" type experience, the Experience Music Project/Sci Fi Museum is uniquely Seattle, particularly if you or your kids enjoy those areas. You already have Chiluly Garden and Glass on the list - I think you will all enjoy that - that's perfect. As I said above, The Center for Wooden Boats is exceptional, (it's free!) and a living history museum, which is particularly fun. Docents can take you out on the boats or you can rent some too. Next to the CWB is the Museum of History and Industry. You may or may not find that interesting, but it features some cool Seattle/Northwest history

http://www.cwb.org

http://www.mohai.org

Another option would be Tillicum Village, you get a short harbor tour, then visit to Blake Island with a traditional Native dinner, show and some time to explore the island. It is a worthy experience. http://www.tillicumvillage.com

Regarding Serious Pie. I like it very much, but we enjoy the uniqueness. I would not hesitate to recommend it. I like the South Lake Union location a little more, just because it is a little more spacious. One of my boys is a Pizza Freak, and that was his choice for his birthday dinner. Another of our favorites, downtown is Tutta Bella ( it's on the Street Car line, near Whole Foods and the Pan Pacific Hotel.) They feature Neapolitan pizza.

You'll love the FS in both Vancouver & Whistler. The pool at in Whistler is fabulous. First class staff in both locations. Love, love Whistler as much in the summer as the winter. Let me know if you need additional suggestions. You will have a fabulous trip.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Seattle - this is our plan - will it work?

First, regarding pizza. The Four Seasons is steps away from the Alibi Room (VERY hidden beneath the market - a real "insider's" place.) While the Alibi Room is a dance/cocktail etc. club at night, before the night people arrive (and during, of course) they have some of the best pizza in Seattle. IMO way less pretentious than Serious Pie (which I suspect your kids wouldn't love much at all) and - cheaper. Plus I bet you and your family would really dig it. http://www.seattlealibi.com/welcome.htm And DON'T miss the Gum Wall across the alley. The kids will go ape. (Provide them with some bubble gum - preferably in a color not found in nature - so they can add to the urban fabric of our fair city.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gum_Wall

Other comments: As far as the science center goes, honestly, meh. The Exploratorium comparison is apt, even generous to both. And frankly, if time allows, substitute the aquarium in Vancouver for Seattle's - like in a hearbeat.

>> Instead of Elliott's or Ivars on the waterfront, you could also take the passenger water taxi over to Alki Beach, and eat at Salty's or one of the many other restaurants. <<

Oh my. Take the water taxi - kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTax… - over to Seacrest Park in West Seattle, and have a meal (lunch, dinner, who cares?) at Marination Ma Kai, a newly-permanent branch of a well-known local Hawaiian food truck, right on the dock. The food is superb, the prices very good, you can eat outdoors if conditions allow, and the view - both from the boat and from the pier - is stunning, like this - http://gardyloo.us/20091226_19a.jpg Walk off the meal along the harborfront.

http://marinationmobile.com/ma-kai Time your kids learned what Loco Moco is.