We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls with rented car

Horseheads, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls with rented car

I will be renting a car in Vancouver and driving down to to Seattle and back with a few side trips.

I know there are tolls in some areas. Do they all take cash or are there some that are EZ-Pass (or equivelent) only?

How does it work with the rental company? All I see on one website is how they will charge you for unpaid tolls plus a fee.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls with rented car

http://wstc.wa.gov/highwaytolling/

Your last paragraph, that's what I've heard. Check with the rental car company, they might differ in how they, if they, charge.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,920 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls with rented car

Can the GoodToGo cameras read BC license plates now?

Here is the info from the Top Questions

"Short Term Accounts don’t require a pass or pre-paid amount. Just register the vehicle license plate and your tolls will be charged directly to your credit or debit card. Use the account for up to 14 days and then it automatically closes."

www.wsdot.wa.gov/goodtogo/visitors#Rental

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,525 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolls with rented car

It's not hard at all to avoid toll bridges. The Evergreen Point bridge over Lake Washington is tolled (SR 520) but the I-90 bridges aren't. The Tacoma Narrows bridges are tolled, but you can "go around" the bottom (via Olympia) or just take a ferry if you need to cross Puget Sound. There are some toll areas on certain commuter routes (not I-5 or I-90) at peak commute hours, but these too are easily avoided.

So I'm not sure this will be much of an issue, unless you have some very specific requirements.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolls with rented car

The only toll roads are SR 520 across Lake Washington and SR16 between Tacoma and Gig Harbor (the "Tacoma Narrows Bridge").

SR 520 is electronic tolling only, so to avoid the rental agency fee you should pay in advance on the web site (or withing 72 hours of crossing). However I believe they cannot yet send fees to non-US cars, so you may get lucky. However you can easily avoid this road by taking I-90 instead.

SR16 bridge is tolled east-bound only, and accepts cash/credit (not debit) cards.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
945 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolls with rented car

Don't take 520 and you should be fine. On the Tacoma bridge, there is a toll plaza, but that's about it for tolls down here for now.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolls with rented car

I should add when I said "The only toll roads are.." I meant in Washington State. Since you are also driving in BC, you might want to know the location of the toll bridges in that province... of which the only one you might cross is the Port Mann Bridge in highway 1. That is also all electronic, and you will get charged with a BC plate number (so pay up before or shortly after you cross, if you do end up using it). You'll only cross the bridge if you go out as far as the Abbotsford crossing - if you take the typical route to/from Seattle (via hwy 99 / I-9) then there are no tolls.

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolls with rented car

Also the Tacoma Narrows Bridge only charges tolls going eastbound.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,350 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolls with rented car

Just to clarify amoose's otherwise very helpful information (:>), it can depend on which way you head out of Vancouver, but all border crossings will first require you to cross the Port Mann Bridge if you take highway 1 east, so not just the Abbotsford crossing, but also the Truck Crossing (at the south end of 176th, which is the 2nd exit after the tolls) and the Aldergrove-Lyndon crossing which is at the foot of 264th.

As it is most typical to take highway 99 south out of Vancouver when heading to the border, this is not usually an issue.

9. Re: Tolls with rented car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 05:17