We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Light Rail With Luggage

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Light Rail With Luggage

Is it feasible to haul two pieces of luggage, carry-on and a purse (possibly a laptop) from the airport on to the light rail to Seattle? If I can get closer to Seattle, National rent a car will pick me up. By doing this I can save $300.00 on a rental car for two weeks. Any ideas or better suggestions?

Thanks!

Lisa

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,243 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

I've seen people do it. Realize that the LightRail Station is about a 10-15 min. walk from the airport terminal (you go out and through and around to the back of the parking garage at the airport).

I'd be more worried about where you're getting off at the Seattle downtown end of the line. Seems most of the stations have a lot of stairs to climb.

And where would you need to get yourself to for the rental car pickup?

Are you 2 people together? Or just 1 person trying to manage all the bags on your own?

suze

Edited: 14 June 2013, 22:18
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

I wouldn't hesitate to do so. My wife and I do it all the time.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

If you can manage the trek with luggage from baggage claim to the airport Link station, then you should be fine. There are 2 places in each Link car for shared baggage/bicycle storage. I often see riders keeping their roller bags with them blocking the aisle ways, so I guess it's your choice.

All of the downtown transit tunnel stations have both escalators & elevators to take you from the the transit platform up to street level. Westlake Station is the end of the line for Link. …kingcounty.gov/tops/…tunnel-stations.html

mississippi river...
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

i have taken the lightrail with a medium size bag and had no problem. i just made sure i did not block the isle.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 00:37
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
945 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

No question, if it's a $300 difference! Do it! The light rail isn't that bad with luggage, although it can be awkward with larger pieces. You can also consider a cab as an option in between. Some of the flat rate cabs will do the trip to Downtown for $25-30.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

suze, there are escalators and elevators in the tunnel.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,140 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

Your luggage can often sit under the seats but most people don't try that. It's a sign for people and luggage so I wouldn't worry about using that for going downtown

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

I'd absolutely do this, it is pretty easy. You can simply roll your luggage on and off the train (the train floor is level with the platform at all stations). In downtown, every station has both escalator and elevator access from the platform level to the street (I normally find the escalator works fine, I'm very familiar with wheeling my luggage on and off escalators at airports, but the elevator might be a bit easier).

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your answers and your quick responses! I really depend on your help. I will be traveling with my husband. Correction - it's Enterprise car rental not National. As it turns out, because I'm coming in on Labor Day, the only car rental places open are at the airport -bummer! If I had 3 weeks vacation I would just drive to Seattle.

Thanks again!

Lisa

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,243 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Light Rail With Luggage

The last time I came thru Westlake the escalators weren't working and people were scrambling around with their luggage. You're correct there are also elevators that I hadn't realized were there, until then. suze