We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle/Van Trip Questions

Laurel, MS
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle/Van Trip Questions

Hi,

My husband, children and I will be traveling to Seattle and Vancouver in July. We've already booked our tickets so can't change our travel arrangements at this time. We arrive @ 10:30 on a Friday in Seattle. We plan to take the Light Rail Link to our hotel near Pioneer Square to drop off our luggage. Since we'll have plenty of time left on Friday, I had thought about going over to Pike's Market to stretch our legs, but read somewhere it was better to go in the morning? I don't want to do anything that might overwhelm us after an already long day of traveling, but something to do to spend our time wisely since we can't check into our hotel till later.

We are planning to spend day one at Seattle Center visiting EMP, Pacific Science and the Space Needle.

Day two visit the Aquarium in the morning and considering catching the Mariners in action for a Sunday afternoon game. Some where in day one or two we want to do the one hour Argosy tour. We thought we'd take advantage of the City Pass. Seems like a good deal?

Day three I'd like an outdoor activity, but can't decided. Thought of doing a one day trip to San Juan Island, but it seems a little far and not possible without a car. May consider renting a car for one day to go to Mt. Rainer. Any advice on what to do to get us out of the city?

Day four we catch the morning Amtrak train to Vancouver. Haven't nailed any activities down in Vancouver yet. We'll spend three nights in Vancouver and return to Seattle the morning of our last day. Planning on seeing the Museum of Flight as we head toward our hotel near the airport for an early morning flight out on Saturday.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle/Van Trip Questions

Welcomed to the forum.

How old are the kids?

Mt. Rainier, yes.

San Juan Islands, no, you are right, too far.

Unclear re: the Museum of Flight timing; this would be the day before your early morning flight, right?

I'd add the Ballard Locks.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 14:45
Laurel, MS
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle/Van Trip Questions

My kids, probably not kids to everyone else, are 17 and 16 years old. Do you think they are to old for the Pacific Science Center. I've also read some reviews that the center is not all that it is cracked up to be.

We arrive back to Seattle around lunch on Friday via train. Thought we could go by the Museum of Flight then. We'll be staying Friday night at a hotel near the airport.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle/Van Trip Questions

True. I think they will be bored with the Pacific Science Center. The Aquarium too...it's ok, but by the teens, my kids had moved beyond. If you were to pick an aquarium, I would choose the Vancouver Aquarium. If you are visiting the EMP, Space Needle, I would also add in the Chihuly Museum - it's good for their ages, and not time consuming. The City Pass is only worthwhile if you are going to visit the attractions on the pass. If you are just visiting certain attractions to make the pass worth it - then I'd skip it. The musuem of flight is outstanding, as is the Boeing Tour. If you rent a car, it's a great way to do the Boeing Tour first thing in the morning, then continue on to Whidbey Island for your day trip.

The San Juan Islands are not a good day trip. Far better for a day excursion is Whidbey Island.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle/Van Trip Questions

"Too old" for the science center? While it is kid-friendly, kids are not the target audience. In fact, I think that your kids are at the perfect age to appreciate it. They are just right for the Experience Music Project, too...and it is within walking distance of the science center.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,102 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle/Van Trip Questions

Hope you can understand my post - I wasn't able to edit. ;-(

16 & 17 year olds at the PSC? Except for the occasional IMAX movie that would be very low on the list for my kids. The EMP/Sci Fi yes - but particularly if your kids have music/sci fi interests. What do your kids enjoy? If you are outdoorsy, I always recommend a kayak or SUP tour. My favorites are with Agua Verde Paddle Co on Lake Union (fresh water) or Alki Kayak Tours on Alki Beach (salt water). It's a fun family activity.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle/Van Trip Questions

Day three perhaps a ferry boat ride to Bremerton, (its the journey, not the destination) or Bainbridge Island? Both depart from the waterfront near you. No car needed.

In July, if you are here July 19th- 21 is the Bite of Seattle and the kids will love that!

Laurel, MS
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle/Van Trip Questions

Thanks for the information.

polycoder, we fly out on the 20th.

Is Seattle Center - Space Needle, EPM and Chihuly Gardens and Glass an all day activity or will we have time to squeeze anything else in?

If we wait to go to the Aquarium in Vancouver, any suggestions for an activity Sunday morning before we head to the game?

I don't want us wasting our time while we are there trying to figure out what to do so I want to plan ahead.

8. Re: Seattle/Van Trip Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 05:17