We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Downtown

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Downtown

We're going to be in Seattle on July 4 and 5. I lived there in the late 80's (went to UW), but haven't been back in over 20 years -- so I'd love some advice. Figured we'd take light rail from the airport on 7/3 and stay at the downtown Hilton on 6th Ave. (we're using Hilton points). Here are some questions:

Will Pike Place and restaurants be open on July 4th?

If we walk on to the Bainbridge Island ferry, will there be restaurants and things on the other side? There used to not be much within walking distance. It would be fun to have dinner and then enjoy the ride back after dark.

If we come back after dark, is it safe to walk back to our hotel from the ferry terminal? If not, do taxis wait close by?

I thought we could rent a car downtown on July 5th and drive to Mt. Rainier. Hope it's a pretty day!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,894 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Downtown

Bainbridge Island does an old fashioned forth the might be fun to do that on the 4th of July. There are lots of restaurants you could walk to however it's a little appeal walk into the main part of Winslow. I think it's fine to walk back though its going to be a lot of uphill

from the waterfront

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Downtown

Pike Place will be mobbed on the fourth so go for breakfast.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Downtown

It's only a gentle slope and about half a mile to walk to the town from the ferry dock at Bainbridge. The 4th July Parade is a wonderful old-fashioned one and there are lots of options there for street food. Many of the restaurants may be doing that rather than being open for formal service. This is a very popular and fun July 4th excursion and I highly recommend it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Downtown

Thank you! It sounds like the parade on Bainbridge Island is something we shouldn't miss. And it looks like the weather will be perfect.

5. Re: Questions about Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:16