We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
252 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

Hi all,

I am contemplating walking from SafeCo field to the Sheraton after the Paul McCartney concert, google maps says its about 30 minutes, and even if it was 45 I'd be fine with it (I hate standing and waiting for transit, when we could just be moving...and I can't imagine how long the taxi line will be!

My question is, is it a fairly safe walk back? We're from Vancouver, and we know to keep our heads up and be aware of our surroundings, but the last thing I'd want is to walk into the equivalent of the downtown eastside.

Any advise is appreciated!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

Yes, it's fine. There will be homeless people especially in Pioneer Square, but it's not unsafe. And shorter than 30 minutes, unless you're quite slow.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

I would walk up First Avenue as that is a busy pedestrian street. Stop at the Mediterranean Mix for a Seattle Dog, perhaps? They have a stand out front. You could triangulate east and north at the Seattle Art Museum, but there will be more fellow walkers if you go up First to Pike.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,002 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

Sure, it's fine. But it IS a long walk (but you seem to realize that already).

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,473 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

It is safe, and you will not be alone!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

As noted there will be a ton of people going to downtown particularly on 1st Avenue. I wouldn't worry too much about safety with the crowd. In general Pioneer Square is arguably the closest equivalent of Vancouver's downtown eastside. If I was alone late in Pioneer Square I would be careful in and around Occidental Park, perhaps the area around the Pergola, 2nd Avenue around the Union Gospel mission and City Hall park.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,473 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

After a Paul McCartney there will be people everywhere. Way more people on the streets then when my wife saw the Beatles!

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

I've heard that the "Central district " is the closest thing thing to the DES , no ?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

When I lived in Seattle I was more worried about the cops in the Central District than the locals. The worst thing you're likely to see in downtown, Belltown and Pioneer Square is crackheads and pan-handlers.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,473 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

Sorry what is the DES? If you are going from Safeco to the DT Sheraton you will be no where near the Central District.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: SafeCo field to Sheraton walk - safe?

Dowtown eastside and it was just in a general sense out of curiosity