We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stay in Seattle

New Zealand
Level Contributor
181 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Short stay in Seattle

Hi can anyone tell me how long it would take me to drive from the Boeing Factory tour, to the Museum of Flight in Seattle?

Roughly how long would it take to see through the Museum of flight, (I'm not such an enthusiast who wants to spend hours over one display)

Is there a mall or shopping complex nearby where my wife can enjoy herself while I am at the Museum of Flight?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
The Museum of Flight
The Museum of Flight
5,776 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short stay in Seattle

It will take 40min to drive between the two, on average. There is usually traffic between Northgate Mall and downtown Seattle. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day!

The best shopping would be in downtown Seattle. The museum isn't too far south by car. It is in an industrial park so there's no good shopping in walking distance.

Even if you're not a lingerer, the museum is large with many fascinating things to see. Don't underestimate how long you'll want to be there. I'd say three hours. They do have a nice museum store and a café.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 16:20
Mentioned in this post
Northgate Mall
Northgate Mall
40 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short stay in Seattle

Just to be clear in terms of total travel time if you are starting from a downtown Seattle hotel, driving to the Future of Flight Aviation Center and Boeing Factory Tour it is going to take you 30-40 minutes depending on traffic. The tour itself takes 1.5 hours and they advise you to get there 30-45 minutes early. My guess is that you are going to be there at least 2 hours and that is not including seeing the small FoF center that is included with your factory tour. So even if you are on the first tour at 9am you are not likely to be done until 10:30-11am. It will take you 40-50 minutes depending on traffic to get on I-5 and travel to the Museum of Flight. The consensus from reviews is that people who spent less than 2 hours felt like they didn't scratch the surface or they felt rushed.

I think you can probably be able to do both in one day but it will be a long day. Assuming you want to go to the FoF first and you get on the first tour, I think you should leave Seattle at 7:45a to ensure you get there by 8:30a and I can't see you getting back before 3pm in the afternoon. We went recently to the FoF. I live north of downtown and was taking local roads, not the highway. We got there about 8:30 for a 9am tour. The tour ended at 10:30. We then went to the FoF exhibit, the Boeing gift shop and on the roof patio which looks over the factory and Paine Field. I want to say it was 11:30 when we took off.

There are a number of places you could drop your wife off on the way between the FoF and the MoF. I would probably just leave her downtown where there is a very nice retail core (including the flagship Nordstrom, a large Macy's that used to be the flagship Bon Marche, and several shopping centers as well as streets and street of shops. Then there is the whole Pike Place Market area (including several interesting shops including the flagship of Seattle based Sur La Table), Pioneer Square and Belltown and Western Avenue.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
The Museum of Flight
The Museum of Flight
5,776 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Pike Place Market
Pike Place Market
17,601 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Pioneer Square
Pioneer Square
554 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Belltown
Belltown
63 Reviews
Seattle, WA
New Zealand
Level Contributor
181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short stay in Seattle

Thanks very much once again. One more question if I may? Is there a direct bus route between the Museum of Flight to Downtown Seattle (for my wife) Thank you

Mentioned in this post
The Museum of Flight
The Museum of Flight
5,776 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,260 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Short stay in Seattle

>> Is there a direct bus route between the Museum of Flight to Downtown Seattle (for my wife) Thank you <<

Yes, bus no. 124 runs from the MoF to the core of downtown Seattle.

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/

Mentioned in this post
The Museum of Flight
The Museum of Flight
5,776 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
New Zealand
Level Contributor
181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short stay in Seattle

Thanks very much ibgardyloo

6. Re: Short stay in Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 05:16