We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glendora, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

We are a party of 6 adults, one of whom is 88 years young, however, he is still mobile using a cane, Will we find it difficult getting into and out of a flight from Seattle to Vancouver?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

Good question TOMnLYNNE.

There are a series of ladder-like steps getting into the plane, which may or may not be difficult depending on the actual level of mobility. My father, who is also still mobile and walks with a cane, would have quite a bit of difficulty getting into the seaplane, scare us to death, and have trouble negotiating the transition from the dock to the seaplane. But another individual may not. I would recommend calling Kenmore Air directly. From the Kenmore Air website below I have pasted info for Special Needs Passengers. I hope it does work for your group because it is an awesome way to travel!

I don't know if this link will come through, but here is a photo of a Kenmore Air plane at the dock in Friday Harbor to give you an idea.

…photoshelter.com/image/I0000Pn6D4y2u98o

"Passengers with Special Needs"

Due to the small size of our aircraft, Kenmore Air is exempt from the accessibility requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Nevertheless, we are committed to treating all our customers with dignity and respect and to accommodating special needs to the greatest possible extent. Please discuss any special needs with a Customer Service Agent at 866.435.9524 prior to booking.

Passengers must be physically able to ascend/descend Kenmore Air aircraft stairs/ladders with minimal assistance.

Wheelchairs generally do not fit in our aircraft.

Wheelchair service at Sea-Tac Airport must be arranged by the passenger through their connecting airline. Please visit Port of Seattle for more information on accessibility services.

Sea-Tac Airport shuttles drop off and pick up at Door 00 in the Scheduled Airporter waiting area at the far south end of the Baggage Claim level.

FAA-approved medical oxygen generators may be carried aboard Kenmore Air flights; however in-flight use is not permitted. Compressed oxygen is not permitted on board at any time.

Passengers with active Service Animals must make advance arrangements by calling our Customer Service group at 866.435.9594. For the comfort and safety of our passengers, we maintain a limit of one pet per flight.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

Yes, he will have a hard time. He might still be able to do it, but it would be an effort. The ladder is not completely rigid, and most people need to grip both sides as they ascend and descend. In addition, the ladder does not completely reach the ground, so the crew puts a small boxy platform on the ground to use as a last step. That final step can be rough, although a crew member will be there to offer an arm. Finally, navigating the interior of the tiny plane, with its very, very low ceiling and narrow aisle is no joke for the less nimble among us. I have seen many people of various ages (and sizes) struggle to get into and out of their seats.

Glendora, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

Thanks Islandgrl and kaleberg. Your quick response will really help us with our planning. Looks like we will be on the Clipper both ways.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

Would you like advice re:the alternative ways to go from Seattle to Vancouver, BC?

The Clipper does not go to Vancouver, BC; it does go to Vancouver Island, on which is the city of Victoria.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 02:25
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
893 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

Even if he does make it onto the plane, he'll find it very difficult getting into and out of Vancouver since Kenmore Air doesn't fly there (neither the harbor nor main airport). You might want to look at Alaska Airlines and other mainline airlines that fly from SeaTac to Vancouver International.

Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

Good catch amoose99. I can't believe I didn't pay attention to the destination.

TOMnLYNNE, have you considered Amtrak? From Seattle to Vancouver the options are car, bus (Greyhound, Bolt Bus), train (Amtrak), shuttle between the airports (Quick Shuttle) or fly on a commercial flight. Where are you going in Vancouver?

Glendora, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

I am really sorry to everyone. I meant to say Seattle to VICTORIA. But thanks to everyone for their reply.. I am sorry for taking everyone's time. Thanks to all.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 21:27
Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

No problem - it happens!

9. Re: Is it difficulty boarding a Kenmore Air seaplane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:17