We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Mt Ranier

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to Mt Ranier

Am going to seattle for a week with my 24 yr old daughter. She will be bringing a friend along as well. I would love to take her to Mt Ranier but is it worth it? And what part do you recommend?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

Is it worth it? It's a national park, need I say more? Have you looked at that park's official website? Images?

See View Map on the park site Home page; drive all of it, you'll have many daylight hours. Leave Seattle quite early, enjoy.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

One of the most beautiful National parks in the country. Yes I would say it is worth it. There is snow at higher elevations right now. When are you visiting? Do you want to stay over night?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

You are going to be arriving in September? Is that early September or late September?

You will be visiting after the high meadows wildflower bloom of early August and most likely before the fall color kicks in. The Sunrise visitor center closes in late September but importantly the crowds will be significantly lower than in the height of the summer and trails will be snow free. Actually Public Lands Day is fee free on September 28th.

Here are the main areas:

Longmire Area

www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/longmire.htm

Paradise Area

www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/paradise.htm

Ohanapecosh Area

nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/ohanapecosh.htm

Sunrise Area

www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/sunrise.htm

Carbon/Mowich Area

nps.gov/mora/…carbon-and-mowich.htm

Most people's primary experience is coming in the Nisqually Entrance, heading to Longmire, stopping for the sights on the road to Paradise, stopping at the visitor center and doing a hike at Paradise and then heading back. However Sunrise is also very popular for hiking and wildlife viewing and it is a higher altitude than Paradise. This means it is snow covered for longer and the window for enjoying it is more limited. Ohanapecosh is another beautiful area where the Grove of the Patriarch's trail shows off some of the biggest old growth trees in the park.

I think Mt. Rainier is one of the most spectacularly beautiful parks I have seen and would recommend it unequivocally.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

We are arriving sept 10 and staying 8 nights in Seattle. I want to show my daughter the beauty of the PNW. I travel there every year for a "girls trip" which includes a drive to Astoria Oregon. This year is the first year my daughter will see what ive been bragging about the past 3 years. Klsalas I appreciate the info. I have only seen Mt Ranier when flying in to Seattle and driving to Oregon. Wasn't quite sure which area to go to and look forward to a beautiful drive. Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks everyone for your input!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

The park's website has a wealth of information. So do the visitor centers, so even if you didn't do any advance reading, for some reason, you could just visit the visitor center at Longmire or Paradise and use the info available there to decide how you wanted to spend your time.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

Phils with 8 days, we could help you plan more things to do in the area if you were for instance interested in also visiting Olympic National Park. Not sure if you rdaughter has seen our wild coast. It would mean spending at least one night on the westside of Olympic and you may only want Rainier as your wilderness experience. September is a great time to also visit Olympic.

If you only choose Rainier, then grove of the Patriarchs is good place to see what trees looked like before humans wiped out the biggest old growth trees. Paradise is always worth a visit and you would like Reflection Lakes and you can drive right past Naranda Falls. Avoid the weekend, although September is not bad after the holiday. Look at the forecast and pick the clearest day to go. The mountain can get socked in depending on the weather some days and you can not even see the summit.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

I would love that glacier! I want her to see the beauty of Washington state. Ive been several times and the beauty takes my breath away. Ive never really ventured out of city so am interested to see the old trees too. Also would love to see the falls and Reflection Lake. Only seen in pictures. The Olympic Mountains look awesome!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,450 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

Phil for starters how many nights would you be willing to stay over night in Olympic? It is not a Park that can be done as a day trip, and to be honest two nights would be bare minimum to make it worthwhile. Look up photos on the net of Rialto Beach, Lake Crescent, Hoh Rainforest and Quinault Rainforest Sol Duc Falls to give you an idea of what you can experience. I will tell you ot is a huge Park, so you would only have to to see some of the places I have mentioned.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

Thank you glacier. Since we have already paid our hotel stay in Seattle I guess i wont be able to see Olympic. But I would love to hear of some suggestions to do while there. My daughter is 24 and loves the outdoors. Thought maybe taking her to Olympic Sculpture Park or Gas Works Park. Kerry Park seems like a small lot in a neighborhod. Would love to experience a ferry ride or an Argosy Cruise. Am definitely riding the Great Wheel and EMP Museum. Huge Jimi Hendrix fan. I am excited about seeing Mt Ranier and taking some of the short trails for a better view. Do I need to pack a backpack with extras incase something happens and some bear spray. I dont plan on venturing out to big trails. I couldnt do that. But the short ones I can. What about Snohomish Falls?

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Mt Ranier

Glacier, I am also traveling down to Astoria, Oregon Friday thru Monday for the Commercial Fishermans Festival. Anything you could suggest to me for in Astoria or on my drive there?