We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

Hi,

I am going to see the Seattle Mariners vs. LAA on Friday, July 12, 7:05. I will be coming from the north via I5 south. Can anyone let me know what parking will be like? I was thinking about prepaying for parking at the Union Station Garage ($12) or the Centurylink Event Center Garage ($15). Does either of these offer better access to/from I5 (north)? Is there somewhere else I should consider parking instead? I would rather walk farther, assuming it's a safe walk, and have an easier time getting into/out of the parking.

This will be my first game at Safeco (and my first time in Washington state). I have season tickets at Comerica Park in Detroit and have visted a few other ball parks. Is there anything I should know about Safeco? Cool things to see? Places to avoid sitting? Can I bring my own bottled water? Can I bring my own peanuts? (I can at Comerica). Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited: 26 June 2013, 14:52
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,049 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

if I were unfamiliar with the city, personally I'd take the train or bus into the city and not deal with the parking. I can't imagine that on a game day parking would be much less than $25-40 close to the stadium. On game days I highly doubt you could prepay parking and get the rate you quoted. There is a huge park and ride lot at Northgate shopping mall at the north end of Seattle right off I-5. On a weekend you should be able to get parking there pretty easy. An express bus will take you right into downtown and thru the bus tunnel. You can get off at the 'stadium' stop. Sometimes the sounder trains run for games but the stations don't have huge park n ride lots. Hope this helps.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

Thanks for the info! I will consider the mass transit option as well.

The prices I mentioned are parking passes I can buy directly from the Mariners with my tickets. I will have a "semi-local" with me who does drive into Seattle on occasion and I routinely drive in LA, Chicago, etc so I am not too concerned about navigating; I was more concerned with the post game exodus from the stadium and getting stuck in traffic trying to get out of a parking structure that was poorly situated for where I want to go.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

The cops close off a bunch of streets and force traffic in very specific directions after the game; usually to facilitate people on to the freeways, so I think you are fine with either. The Union Square garage is further from the stadium, and that street may not be subject to the police closures, so you may have more flexibility about where you get to go if you park there. But if you're just heading back on I-5, I think you'll be okay with either. Hopefully someone who has parked in one recently will chime in. I have my secret street parking spots so I haven't used those garaged. I'm sure that both can be slow to exit at the end, when everyone leaves at once.

You can bring in peanuts but not drinks. You can bring an empty bottle and fill it at a water fountain. Here's what the website says:

Food brought into the ballpark must be wrapped, bagged or inside a container. Items such as apples and oranges must be quartered. Personal food items cannot be carried into any of the restaurants, lounges or suites.

Bottles, Cans & Outside Beverages

No bottles, cans or outside beverages (including water/ice) may be brought into Safeco Field. Exceptions are made for guests with medical needs, baby bottles and unopened, soft-sided, single-serve containers (such as small milk cartons, juice boxes, etc.). Guests may bring in empty plastic bottles and fill them at any of the 66 drinking fountains located throughout the ballpark.

There are a lot of really neat features in Safeco--be sure to walk around the whole 100 level, and head up to the 300 level for great views. There are a couple of landings up there that have the best views (you might ask an usher once up there where to see views). I like the NW Baseball Museum/Mariners Hall of Fame--it explains the history of baseball in the PNW. The Knothole Bullpen View, where you can see the pitcher throwing from the catcher's perspective, when someone is warming up, is really cool (head toward the bullpens and ask an usher). Us Mariner fans like the Dave Neihaus statue out in 105.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

Thanks, Christy1. This is exactly the sort of info I am seeking. :)

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

Hi GangaGal,

We have parking included with our season tickets. We park in the Centurylink event center garage. Of all the garages we have parked in over the years, it is so easy in and out. The entrances and access to that garage was re-built and basically after the game, we just pull out, are guided by officers and you aren't impeded by pedestrians or traffic. And, yes, you can pre-purchase parking from the Mariner's website. I checked for your gameday and parking is available at that garage for $15. A deal IMO for the convenience and absolutely no hassle. Here is a link to other parking locations.

…mlb.com/sea/…

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

Thanks so much IslandGrl! I will prepurchase the Centurylink parking. I am all about easy in & easy out.

I have just returned home from another painful loss against the Angels and I can't wait to cheer on your Mariners against them next month. ;-)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
688 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

If you sit on the south side of the stadium (toward 1st base) you will be able to see the Seattle skyline during the game. With a 7pm game, you can watch the twilight on the buildings and it is very pretty.

Eden Prairie...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

Hello, I have a parking pass for Sunday's game w/ Detroit that says Section G2A. It does not tell me what specific garage it is. Wondering if someone knows. (I bought tickets from a season ticket holder apparently and it comes with the pass.)

Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

Probably the main Safeco garage off Edgar Martinez Way on the south boundary of the stadium. Doesn't it say anything on the pass?

Eden Prairie...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mariners game - parking info and misc tips requesting

No, the pass does not have a specific garage specified. It shows a little map with the two main garages - one south of Safeco and one between the two stadiums. I am guessing I can get someone on the grounds to help me once I get there, but figured I would ask experts first!