We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I fit all these in 2 and half days

Germantown, Maryland
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How do I fit all these in 2 and half days

Ok, I already know I have a lot in my hand to work on. However I am very sure with TD experts help I can figure this out. Our family of 2 adults and 3 kids will arrive Seattle at 11am by Amtrak. We will be staying in an apt on 26th Street. We plan pick a car up from Airport and drop it on our way back on the third day at 9:30am.

So we have about 2 and half days for us to do sight seeing. We will be meeting friends over dinners for all three nights in and around the city. Here are the things we want to see:

1. Space Needle

2. Pike's Place Market

3. Chihuly Garden and glass museum

4. Olympic Sculpture garden

5. Boeing factory

6. Brainbridge Island

7. Kerry Park

8. Kubota garden

9. Arboretum

10. Woodland Park and Rose garden

11. Smith Tower

12. Mt. Rainier

13. Snoqualmie Falls

Now, my challenge is how to I fit these into the time we have and enjoy. We like gardens, but we would have visited Vancouver and Alaska right before Seattle. We will probably the glass museum for sure. I have heard so much about Pike Place market that I cannot not visit it. We have visited fresh fruit/vegetable/fish market in Europe and like those.

I understand Mt. Rainier will take day completely, but do not know when we can visit Seattle again during summer, so feel we should do that this time. The fall seems different than what we might have seen in the trip.

If you were me - how would you work this out?

Thanks,

RP

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I fit all these in 2 and half days

Since you only have 2 1/2 days, you are going to have to eliminate some of these places. There just isn't enough time to get to all of them.

I would skip the Olympic Sculpture Garden, Bainbridge Island, Kerry Park, Kubota Garden and Snoqualmie Falls. If your kids want to see the zoo, then include Woodland Park, otherwise I would drop that too.

I would substitute the Boeing Factory tour with the Museum of Flight.

Years ago Smith Tower was the tallest building in Seattle. But there are many buildings now that are much taller and it's sort of lost between them.

If the weather is nice you will be able to see Mt. Rainier from many places in Seattle, it's over 14,400 ft high. I would wait and see what the weather looks like before planning a full day trip up to the mountain. If it happens to be rainy or very cloudy you can be standing right on the side of the mountain and not be able to see it!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I fit all these in 2 and half days

If you must see your friends for dinner each evening, then that might well rule out Mt. RNP; it's a very long, very full, day, including the drive to/from there.

Not knowing your kids' ages, a bit hard to comment, but here you go, in addition to Kitters' comments:

Ballard/Chittenden Locks Uniquely Seattle. http://tinyurl.com/ixbu You'll all enjoy this, expecially the kids.

Pike Place Market www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp…

Pioneer Square http://www.seattle.gov/tour/pioneer.htm

Museum of Flight A world class museum, for all ages. http://www.museumofflight.org/ Plan on 3 hours.

Seattle Center (site of the 1962 World's Fair) See, but perhaps not go up, the Space Needle.

Woodland Park Zoo http://www.zoo.org/ As noted above, includes modest gardens.

Seattle Aquarium http://www.seattleaquarium.org/

Argosy Cruises (Tillicum Village) argosycruises.com/publiccruises/tillicum.cfm

If you must take a ferry ride, walk on the Bainbridge Island ferry, walk into/around the little town of that name. Fun ride, very scenic.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 16:02
Germantown, Maryland
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I fit all these in 2 and half days

Thank you for your suggestion so far. I am keeping an eye on the weather. I will rule out Mt. Rainier if it is cloudy or rainy.

We are not interested in the Aquarium and Zoo, since we assume that they would be similar to what we have in Baltimore and DC (we live in DC suburb). I am interested in the Rose Garden next to the zoo, only if it is on our way to something else.

If we go early to Mt. Rainier, (lets say 7am) and the weather is nice what time should we expect to be back in Seattle? I am also looking at the possibility of checking if one friend can go with us (so that we can avoid the evening dinner engagements).

Is not Mueseum of flight similar to DC Natinal Air and Space Mueseum?

We are interested in photography (that is why Kerry park, Olympic Sculpture Park and Brainbridge Island are in the list. Which of these gives best photo op? Any alternatives?

If we cannot go to Mt. Rainier, can we do Tacoma and Snoqualmie Falls in stead. If we go to the Mt. Rainier can we still fit Snoqualmie Falls and brainbridge Island?

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,856 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I fit all these in 2 and half days

Day-1: Space Needle, the Pike Place Market, Chihuly Garden and glass museum, Olympic Sculpture garden, Smith Tower, Bainbridge Island

Day-2: Mt. Rainier & Snoqualmie Falls

I would cut: Boeing factory Kerry Park, Kubota garden, Arboretum, Woodland Park and Rose garden, only because you simply don't have enough time.

suze

Edited: 02 July 2013, 17:52
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I fit all these in 2 and half days

I like Suze's suggestions. If photography is a big part of how you came up with your list Bainbridge is probably a good idea. Do not go into town just get off for the security check and then return. You could time the ferry for returning in time to meet your friends for dinner, or you could take a morning boat. If you do not care about people shots try and visit the Market in the morning. Unless it is raining do not miss Mt. Rainier NP. If you are at all into nature photography or just the beauty of nature it is not to be missed. It can be very dissapointing for a visitor if you can not see the Summit, but unless it is raining it is still a fantastic experience. Find a way to not have a set tme to return. You may get there and have one of the magic moments and say if only we did not have to leave. Not sure when you are visiting, but I could spend a whole day just photographing wildflowers. There is nothing that compares to this Park on the East Coast. IMO do not cut your visit short just to include Snoqualmie Falls.

6. Re: How do I fit all these in 2 and half days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 07:17