We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on our itinerary Seattle and Victoria / 1st time

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on our itinerary Seattle and Victoria / 1st time

Hi! We are coming to Seattle later this month with our kids, ages 7 and 10. I wanted to get some opinions on our itinerary. We've never been to Seattle or Victoria.

We are not renting a car. I don't mind paying for taxis when we need to. Will also use public transportation when feasible.

We really want to enjoy the things that are unique to the Northeast. We enjoy being on the water and in nature as much as possible. Also all things culinary!

Saturday - arrive at airport at 5:35 pm. Take cab into city. Staying at an apartment about 3 blocks from the convention center. Dinner somewhere nearby... quick and easy!

Sunday - Pike Place Market. Would like to schedule a food tour that is family friendly.

Waterfront, Sculpture Park

Argosy Cruise of Harbour

Space Needle

Bite of Seattle at Seattle Center for dinner possibly

Monday - Chittenden Locks

shop/dine in Ballard

Tillicum Village dinner/show

Tuesday - Pioneer Square / Gold Rush Historical Park

International District / Uwajimaya

ferry to Bainbridge Island or Alki Beach

Wednesday - early morning ferry to Victoria on Victoria Clipper

Check into Oswego Hotel

afternoon family kayak tour with Kelp Reef Adventures

Thursday - car service (or one day car rental?) to Butchart Gardens and nearby butterfly conservatory

Friday - 11:20 departure back to Seattle arrives 2:05

Aquarium

re-visit Pike Place Market

Saturday - flight departs 1:55

Other Options if there's time:

Volunteer Park (hike water tower)

Zoo

other outdoor activities... light hiking, water tours, seaplane

I also want to eat as much salmon as possible! Don't want super fine dining since we have the kids with us, but they do pretty well at nicer restaurants. I don't have any reservations yet. Might check out Ivan's Salmon House although I know it's touristy.

What are any other must-sees in Victoria? Do the days seem too packed or about right?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Shelly

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
537 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary Seattle and Victoria / 1st time

Seems like a well-thought out plan overall. Sunday might be a bit much to cover, depending on everyone's stamina, but keeping in mind that you can do the Space Needle after dinner it should work.

In Victoria (remember to bring your passports), you can take a double-decker bus out to Butchart Gardens, which is kind of fun. My other must-see there is the Royal BC Museum, a great natural & human history museum.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary Seattle and Victoria / 1st time

"We really want to enjoy the things that are unique to the Northeast." What you'll see here will be, in fact, unique to the NE! :)

Yes, a good plan, you've researched the area well.

Argosy Cruise - Two ideas; since you'll be going to Tillicum Village, and can ride the ferry to Bainbridge Island and visit that town (walk-on ferry, won't need a car), that might suffice. I wonder which the kids would prefer, Alki or BI. Alki is a long beachy strip, lots of traffic, not a lot to offer a tourist unless you are there to play on the beach (water too cold for much swimming).

Thursday - car service (or one day car rental?) to Butchart Gardens and nearby butterfly conservatory

I'd take a cab or bus, perhaps the double-decker, to the Gardens.

Royal Museum, as already said, a "must see" for all ages; kids will love it.

Walking the Inner Harbour and "downtown" and Chinatown and the government buildings will nicely fill out your Victoria trip.

Other Options if there's time:

Museum of Flight A world class museum, for all ages. http://www.museumofflight.org/

Archie McPhee Store; for the sheer fun of it. http://archiemcpheeseattle.com/ See location and how it might fit into your trip to the Ballard Locks

Discovery Park; varied, woods, meadows, ocean seattle.gov/parks/environment/discovery.htm

Edited: 09 July 2013, 15:33
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary Seattle and Victoria / 1st time

Ivar's Salmon House - not so touristy as other locations, quite good. Request a window table.

The seaplane idea would provide incredible views of the area. For example: www.kenmoreair.com/Page.aspx…

http://www.seattleseaplanes.com/

http://www.hellobc.com/victoria.aspx

Edited: 09 July 2013, 15:45
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary Seattle and Victoria / 1st time

One can argue that Archie McPhee is not on the way to/from the Locks. True, but not that far. BTW, if in Fremont, fun to see and photograph the Fremont Troll.

http://goo.gl/maps/UcQGM

Edited: 09 July 2013, 17:11
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary Seattle and Victoria / 1st time

We native Northwesterners, are understandably, salmon snobs. Many don't eat salmon in restaurants as it's so easy to buy high quality wild salmon here (NO farm raised) and prepare at home. Some won't eat salmon they don't catch themselves.

Having said that, there are many restaurants that do a good job with salmon, so you will be able to get your fish on.

Tillicum village is fun and the food is good. Nice choice for your tour.

Ivar's restaurants serve good salmon in family-friendly settings. Acres of Clams on the central waterfront and Salmon House are both good.

Chinook's at Salmon Bay (Fishermen's Terminal) is another good seafood/casual setting choice.

The Market Grill at the Pike Place Market makes a decent salmon sandwich. (Lunch?)

Etta's Seafood at the Pike Place Market is a popular Tom Douglas restaurant that does very good salmon but is a bit more spendy than the others in this list.

Anthony's Bell Street Diner on the central waterfront is family friendly and has good fish.

Buy some fresh smoked salmon at Pure Foods Seafood in the Pike Place Market, some chevre cheese from DeLaurenti's and bagels from Seattle Bagel Bakery. Then have a midnight snack while the rest of the family is sleeping.

You may want to try salmon sushi or sashimi at one of our Japanese restaurants. (I am a huge Japanese food fan.) I'd recommend against it. All raw salmon served will be farm raised (and pumped full of antibiotics and pesticides.) Yuck. Stick with cooked, wild salmon.

Sake Kama (Salmon Collar) - is a Japanese dish worth seeking out. This bit of heaven is the meat attached to the 'neck' cartilage, a piece most cooks would throw out, but prized by Japanese chefs, who will often keep this for themselves. Usually simply grilled with salt and served with a soy/citrus sauce and grated daikon. Yum! (Now I'm going to make this tonight...) You may be lucky and find this at the deli in the Uwajimaya food court. It will likely be teriyaki style - a bit sweet and dry, but still tasty.

Oh, and while gorging on Salmon, don't forget to have some Dungeness crab too.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary Seattle and Victoria / 1st time

...In Victoria (remember to bring your passports)....

Since you are traveling with your minor children, be sure to bring some 'bullet-proof' documentation that they are your children - and you are the custodial parents. More than once, I have witnessed family trauma at immigration when parents couldn't prove that.

7. Re: Thoughts on our itinerary Seattle and Victoria / 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 06:18